Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Transferring money while overseas

Posted by caitjenks caitjenks
Message 1 of 4 445 Views

My partner and I are both in the United States for a month. It would be easiest for us to use one card for both of our spending and then transfer that person half of the balance periodically. What are the fees, roughly, that we will be subject to if transferring from one Australian account in the US to another Australian account also in the US?

Also, when paying transactions is it cheapest for us to select credit and then pay in local currency, pay in Aus currency, or tap using payWave? 

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos

Re: Transferring money while overseas

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 2 of 4 445 Views

Hi @caitjenks, there are no extra fees to transfer to someone's Australian bank account by online banking, this includes if you are currently situated outside of Australia when you transfer the funds - so it would be the same as if you were both home in Australia and sending each other money.

In regards to the cheapest way to pay transactions, I have looked into this for you and can advise that the rate that will be applied to your transactions is that which is applicable for the day the transaction is processed - which may not be the day that the transaction was actually initiated or the day that it is finalised on your account. It really would depend on the interest rates applicable on the day, and this is not something we can advise of in advance. If you'd like some more information on this, you can find it in the Credit Cards Conditions of Use Booklet: http://www.bankwest.com.au/library/pdf/PDS_20051111-093533.pdf

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

Posted by caitjenks caitjenks
Message 3 of 4 444 Views

This is a genuinely helpful answer, thank you so much! 😬

0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 4 of 4 443 Views

I'm very happy to help @caitjenks, I hope you're both having a great time in the USA!

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.