Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

SMS security

Posted by curlyhart curlyhart
Message 1 of 4 362 Views

My phone is stuffed and I need to make a BPay. I find the following sentance from the help pages quite funny... 

If "you don't have your mobile phone handy, please call us on 1300 440 749"

0 Kudos

Re: SMS security

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 2 of 4 362 Views

Hi @curlyhart, I can see why you find this amusing, however for security reasons if you're unable to use SMS code we would need to speak with you over the phone to identify you. If you don't have access to the mobile phone listed on our system, it may be a good idea to call from a landline phone or a friends phone so we can assist you :-) I have spoken to our online team to let them know your feedback also. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Posted by curlyhart curlyhart
Message 3 of 4 361 Views

Thanks Lynds,

Today it is not such an issue, as I am at home. But last time!

I was on an island in Malaysia and needed to book our flights home. I had told you I was going on holidays and where I would be, but still couldn't have SMS security turned off. Nowhere did I read about the reverse charges number that I have read on this forum, nor did the email responses from Bankwest mention it at all. We couldn't find anywhere on the island to make phone calls, so used my Skype credit. I was put on hold for about 40 mins before getting through. I was assured all was sorted but later found I still couldn't make online payments. I tried calling the Platinum concierge service, but they didn't want to speak to me, and redirected me back to Bankwest. I was left on hold until my credit expired. And I couldn't top up my credit because I couldn't make online payments! I had to get a friend in Aus to book for us. Good old NAB. As the island only had electricity for a few hours each day, this whole process took us almost a week, and cost us about $50 each in flight price hikes.

1. If you already know I'm overseas, allow me to remove SMS security via an email through the secure online portal.

2. Prioritise overseas phone calls, don't leave them on hold with everyone else.

3. Train staff to forward the reverse charges number (not that it would have helped me)

Curly.

0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 4 of 4 357 Views

Thanks for your feedback @curlyhart, I will certainly pass this on to the relevant teams to ensure this is addressed. In regards to the SMS code being removed, we can arrange a temporary exemption when you travel overseas, however in order to do this we do need to speak with you over the phone and identify you.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.