Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
Forum Manager

Improving the eStatement experience in online banking

Posted by PeteW PeteW
Message 1 of 19 3,815 Views

We've received some feedback from our customers that it's not easy to identify which eStatements in their list are new/unread and which are old/read. We want to improve this for our customers so would like some more feedback.

We'd like to hear your thoughts on this particular point and any other feedback you have about accessing your eStatements. Thanks in advance!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
○ If you find a response helpful remember to give it 'Kudos'.
○ If it answered your question, make it easier for others to find by selecting 'Accept as Solution'.
Forum Manager

Re: Improving the eStatement experience in online banking

Posted by PeteW PeteW
Message 2 of 19 3,814 Views

@cgm @thewinchester @Enigmaraff You were the first 3 members that came to mind when I thought about who'd be interested in this - fire away Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
○ If you find a response helpful remember to give it 'Kudos'.
○ If it answered your question, make it easier for others to find by selecting 'Accept as Solution'.
Senior Contributor

Posted by cgm cgm
Message 3 of 19 3,810 Views

I totally agree with this.

The key issue I have with the eStatements section in BOB is that deactivated accounts appear with all your current/active accounts.

E.g. I currently have one current credit card, however all deactivated credit card accounts also show up, in my case 7 closed accounts.  This includes credit cards that have expired or been lost/stolen.

Currently there's two distinct tables-Registered for eStatements and Unregistered for eStatements.

I would suggest creating a new table that houses only current/active accounts.  Have the deactivated accounts at the bottom of the page or even better contained with in expandable/drop-down function, so it can be hidden until required.

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]
Posted by cgm cgm
Message 4 of 19 3,809 Views

An easier solution to the problem I mentioned earlier would be to have all current/active accounts appear at the top of the Registered for eStatements table rather than ordered by account type.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]
Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 5 of 19 3,807 Views

*** On this specific question

On the specific question, I agree that the feedback you've received - being that using only a HTML Bold/Regular style on the text to differentiate between read and unread statements - isn't enough, or clear.

I've discussed in the last Q&A session on mobile how that platforms need to cater for customers with visual issues, and given the point size of the text, it's a little hard to tell a read and unread statement apart.

This same feedback carries all the way through BOB, i.e. Notifications and Bank Mail.

*** Suggestions for improvements

Possible improvements could include:

• Reuse what already works - (borrow from Bank Mail interface):
    It already uses a read/unread icon in the messages list to provide another visual indicator of this status (Screen shot attached). This could simply be added to the table of statements on the account eStatements page (/CMWeb/eStatements/ES/AccountStatementList.aspx).

Secure Bank Mail - Read and Unread icons example
  • Unread count on estatement summary page (/CMWeb/eStatements/ES/StatementList.aspx):
    To the right of the account number, display the count of the number of statements which the customer hasn't viewed for each account. Example:

eStatements - Unread statement count
  • Split out read and unread statements:
    Create a seperate table on the eStatements page for an account (/CMWeb/eStatements/ES/AccountStatementList.aspx), which specifically seperates out the statements that haven't been viewed. Example mock up:

Mock up - Splitting read and unread statements

*** General opportunities to improve statements

This is just a quick list of opportunities to improve statements generally, some relating to BOB across different platforms, others being the statements themselves, and one being secure external access to personal statement data by financial intellegence apps/platforms.

1. Provide statement access on mobile devices:
    This needs to be made available, as they're just PDF devices. There shouldn't be a reason why this isn't already provided.
  2. Fix statement access on tablet devices (iOS):
    Currently, when viewing a statement on an iPad, the method of displaying it within a pop-over window inside the app means the user cannnot scroll beyond the first page for most statements (esp. everyday/transaction products). Change the functionality of the application to either
    a) remove the pop over window entirelly and just display the statement as a PDF document,
    b) provide an option for the customer to open the file as a PDF from within the pop over window, or
    c) fix the pop over window so you can properly scoll and read all the pages in the displayed statement.
  3. Update BWA's statements to a universal, common format
    There are at least two different statement layouts I know of, for transaction accounts, and credit cards. Compared to the credit card statements (which are my preferred statement design), the current transaction account version doesn't feel like it's consistent with the BWA brand, and comes across as old and dated.

Ideally,
    a) BWA account statements across all products should be a near universal format, if only to ensure BWA's brand is consistently represented in every customer-facing execution/touch point - but especially to improve customer comprehension and awareness.
    b) Information should be presented consistently across every single statement, for every single product.
    c) Fonts, layouts and visual queues should be consistent.
    d) Information about points earned on a loyalty product/alliance (BWA Rewards, Qantas Frequent Flyer) should be displayed in almost the same place on every single statement, in a clear, consistent and common format.
  4. External interfaces - secure statement API's for personal customers
    Now, this is one numerous customers are likely in violation of the BWA T&C's on - by using external services (i.e. Pocketbook) to automatically download their statements, for the purpose of tracking their spend across relevant categories automatically, assist with their tax returns, track and take action on large fees, etc.

Now whilst customers can download these in CSV, QIF etc then upload to these sites, that's a lot of effort, not withstanding having to remember to do it on a frequent basis.

So when sites like Pocketbook allow you to securely provide your online banking credentials, so they can 'pretend' to be you - solely for the purpose of downloading your statement data to use on their site; whilst this might be conveinent, you may be breaching the account T&C's, and exposing yourself to liability in the event of any fraud occuring on your account.

Now, whilst it would be nice for BWA to provide its customers the services and features in BOB similar to Pocketbook et al, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

So, instead - it would be great if BWA could provide data feeds via secured API for personal customers, which allows sites/services that BWA has pre-approved to use their API to securely download data for customers who specifically grant permission to do so. This is already similar to the services other banks have available for business customers, and for various accounting packages (MYOB and Xero being examples - of which BWA is already a supported bank).

This needs to be matched with a screen inside BOB which allows customers to easily see which sites/services have been currently been granted access to their account data, and turn that off with a single click inside BOB if they choose. They should also be able to see past sites/services so they can follow up and ensure they've cleaned up their data if they no longer want it stored there.

This would provide the balance between customer security and privacy; as well as fill the customer amenity gap - being why they use such services to provide financial intellegence and reporting on their banking above and beyond what is offered by their online banking platforms.
Frequent Contributor

Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 6 of 19 3,806 Views

cgm wrote:

The key issue I have with the eStatements section in BOB is that deactivated accounts appear with all your current/active accounts.

E.g. I currently have one current credit card, however all deactivated credit card accounts also show up, in my case 7 closed accounts.  This includes credit cards that have expired or been lost/stolen.

Currently there's two distinct tables-Registered for eStatements and Unregistered for eStatements.

I would suggest creating a new table that houses only current/active accounts.  Have the deactivated accounts at the bottom of the page or even better contained with in expandable/drop-down function, so it can be hidden until required.

I couldn't agree with this more, and I totally forgot about this problem. It still drives me mad, having upgraded one credit card to a higher level on the product - but still seeing the statements for closed accounts in the same list. Quite easy to get confused.

Junior Contributor

Posted by Enigmaraff Enigmaraff
Message 7 of 19 3,793 Views

thewinchester wrote:

cgm wrote:

I couldn't agree with this more, and I totally forgot about this problem. It still drives me mad, having upgraded one credit card to a higher level on the product - but still seeing the statements for closed accounts in the same list. Quite easy to get confused.

Hi @thewinchester, @cgm and @PeteW.

Thanks for thinking of us @PeteW.

Agree with the guys. Old accounts is really annoying. Could you hide these under a "closed account" section?

My suggestion is this:

On your main estatement page, have up the top the latest unopened statements that can be clicked to view.

Once one of the "latest estatements" is clicked, it is then removed from this list.
Underneath the "lastest estatments" have a drop down menu with a selection of your accounts.

Once clicked on have all the estatements listed for that particular account.

Doing this will highlight new and unread statements while keeping it cleaner and clearer.

Something else that can be annoying is the new statement notification (above accounts on initial screen) disappearing until you log back in.

Hopefully that makes a bit of sense.

- Kain

Senior Contributor

Posted by cgm cgm
Message 8 of 19 3,775 Views
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.