Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

'Pocketbook' Finance App (Budget Planner)

Posted by bmumme bmumme
Message 1 of 7 1,807 Views

Hi, 

Has anyone ever use 'Pocketbook' App which is a Free Budget Planner which you can sync all your bank account to?

https://getpocketbook.com/ 

But I don't want to sign up unless it is safe to do so. I've read the security and reviews but I want to know if any of the bankwest user ever used it and had problems with it. 

Bridie

0 Kudos

Re: 'Pocketbook' Finance App (Budget Planner)

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 2 of 7 1,805 Views

Hi @bmumme, we don't encourage customers to use apps like this one, that require you to sync your accounts as these generally require you to enter your PAN & Secure Code and by doing this you actually void the terms and conditions of the No Loss Security Guarantee (which protects your accounts against loss through authorised access). This means if something happened to your accounts after providing your details to this app, you would no longer be protected and would be liable for any potential loss.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 3 of 7 1,788 Views

@bmumme: Pocketbook supports QIF importing, so if you're not confortable with Pocketbook's securitry guarantees - then that's a workaround to import your data. It's annoyingly time consuming however.

@LyndsC: I'd strongly recommend you check your answer with the Legal and Development teams regarding this.

Firstly, BWA and other banks need to get off the fence when it comes to customers having secure access steams to their banking data. Banks need to open up the Business-level API's they offer for Quickbooks, Xero and other financial providers to consumer-level services - so that consumers can make better informed decisions on their finances and information, in ways which banks/financial institutions aren't doing or are too slow to develop solutions for.

The UK is a shining example about how banks opening up their consumer data streams securely is starting to have real benefits:

http://www.australianbankingfinance.com/banking/uk-forges-an-api-world-as-aus-lags----/

Secondly, the answer you've given on the use of BOB details and liability is actually pretty weak, and misunderstands how such external services operate. Further, the ASIC ePayments code is ambigious on what is meant in Sect 39.4 in respect of who such credentials should be given to - and the common assessment is that anyone is intended to mean a physical, human person - and not a service provider.

In a lawsuit, the ePayments code would have legal precidence over any T&C's BWA has, and it would be pretty easy to mount a case on that basis if a legitimate claim was denied on the sole basis that the account holder used an external application, where it can be demonstrated that the use of the external service didn't contribute in any way to the fraud or loss at issue.

BWA can really take the lead on this issue, and show the rest of the banking industry just how much consumers want to unlock their financial information and make informed decisions (as Business/Corporate customers already do) - especially when it comes to services performing read only analaysis of their transaction information such as Pocketbook.

Posted by bmumme bmumme
Message 4 of 7 1,756 Views
Hi

Thank you @thewinchester

@LyndsC: I'd strongly recommend you check your answer with the Legal and Development teams regarding this.

Is there anyway you can double check?
0 Kudos

Posted by bmumme bmumme
Message 5 of 7 1,754 Views
@LyndsC I'd strongly recommend you check your answer with the Legal and Development teams regarding this.

Is there anyway you can double check?
0 Kudos

Posted by Troy Troy
Message 6 of 7 722 Views

Hi @LyndsC,

Is there anyway we can get PAN that has Read Only access to our bankaccounts?

I would love be able to integrate my finances. Importing and Exporting CSV, QIF getts messy sometime I have overlapping dates etc.

I understand these sort of featurs are avialable for business accounts just not avilabale to consumers? 

0 Kudos

Posted by SarahF SarahF
Message 7 of 7 684 Views

Hi @Troy, thanks for your enquiry. I've spoken with our team and been advised we don't currently have 'read only' PANs however I've passed your feedback on in regards to this. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.