Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Basic Apple Watch app

Posted by Jamesk811 Jamesk811
Message 1 of 7 3,908 Views
Hi, I was just wondering if we could get a very basic Apple Watch app. All it would need to do is show my current balance. Nothing too fancy. I just want to open the app and look at how much money I have available and then if I need to transfer some from another account I would then use the main mobile app.

It shouldn't be too hard at all to implement the app, as it is very basic and only would perform one simple function.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Basic Apple Watch app

[ Edited ]
Posted by cgm cgm
Message 2 of 7 3,905 Views

A Bankwest Apple Watch app would be very handy @Jamesk811.  

There's an existing post by @Enigmaraff on this matter here, Android Wear and Apple Watch support.

Unfortunately Bankwest has no immediate plans for this. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 3 of 7 3,901 Views

Personally @Jamesk811, i'm not convinced Watch apps for banks are of any value.

As someone who owns several smart watches, and works for a company which sells such a device, i've personally not seen any apps in the banking sector that are of actual value.

For a start, the screen real estate needed to provide lots of functionality isn't there. Secondly, how often does someone need to check their balance that they have to have that information on their smart watch. Thirdly, most banks either have in the current apps, or are working on/considering updates, that allow at a glance balance views - either within the app itself without login, or through a 'widget' or similar that sits on the homepage/notification screens (WBC, ING being prime examples here).

For me, these limitations are further re-informed by the banks which have already launched apps in this category. The functionality and features are limited, and given the lack of maturity in smartwatch platforms - it's much faster to perform these actions on a smartphone than the watch.

Also, the level of interaction I get with my primary smartwatch (being mirrored notifications, resulting from any configured Easy Alerts), are more than enough.

I'd rather banks, BWA especially, focused more on bringing their online banking platforms up to date for the mobile age. As has been discusssed around here, ad infinitum, there's a lot of more pressing features, functions and issues customers would prefer their energies were devoted to; as opposed to those resources being usurped for developing a watch app which really isn't going to add that much value to the banking experience, and customers at large.

0 Kudos

Posted by Jamesk811 Jamesk811
Message 4 of 7 3,899 Views
With your rationale what is the point really of any smart watch apps when they notify us anyway through being linked with the phone?? The only app I have found real value out of and the only one I use is 'just press record'. Eg with emails look how many companies have brought out email apps, what's the point when you can't really reply anyway apart from very short responses?? The reason is because people can quickly press a button and be informed of an email they have just received. The whole purpose of the smart watch is and has always been the ability to turn my wrist to check something without reaching for my phone. My phone is always kept in a hard to reach location due to my job and being able to just flick my wrist to see what my balance is would save me a lot of hassle. Just like flicking my wrist to check an emails content without responding. I see that exactly the same as flicking my wrist to check my bank accounts content without responding either eg transferring money etc.
Mobile App Team

Posted by JustinJ JustinJ
Message 5 of 7 3,892 Views

I agree this feature would be handy @Jamesk811

When planning, we need to balance which features we work on next to ensure we use our resource and technology most effectively to deliver what matters to our customers. All the feedback we receive is vital in this planning process. Bankwest Easy Alerts and the very recently launched access with PIN Login are two prime examples of this.

Whilst we have no immediate plans, Bankwest Easy Alerts do work wonderfully with smart watches already and are a great way of keeping in touch with your account activity.

Forum Manager

Posted by PeteW PeteW
Message 6 of 7 3,726 Views

Did you know that our Bankwest Easy Alerts (push notifications) work on smart watches @Jamesk811? I know it's not a watch app like you're suggesting but it's pretty handy nonetheless. Let me know what you think.

easyalertwatch.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
○ If you find a response helpful remember to give it 'Kudos'.
○ If it answered your question, make it easier for others to find by selecting 'Accept as Solution'.
Senior Contributor

Posted by cgm cgm
Message 7 of 7 3,723 Views

I might go buy myself an Apple Watch.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.