Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Secured personal loan aligned to car purchase

Posted by MPhoenix MPhoenix
Message 1 of 2 152 Views

I have a secured personal loan that is for a car I purchased. I want to sell my car, and the buyer wants proof that the personal loan is tied to the car. This isn't obvious anywhere as the loan just has my name on it, and I can see why the buyer is concerned. I went in to a branch to ask for the final payout amount, but the paperwork they gave me was just a print out of my loan balance. Again no mention of the car. What do I have to do to prove to the buyer that my secured personal loan is for the car?

0 Kudos
Forum Manager

Re: Secured personal loan aligned to car purchase

[ Edited ]
Posted by SarahF SarahF
Message 2 of 2 152 Views

Hi @MPhoenix, we recommend whenever buying a car to do a Personal Property Securities Register check ,(PPSR) to check if there are any loans against the car. Car finance uses the car as security, the loan is applied to the car, not its owner. The owner is still obliged to repay the loan, and until they do any unpaid amount on the loan is held against the car, not the borrower. If the buyer would like to confirm that your secured loan is against the car they can do the check here.

I've just found this page via the PPSR government website which may be helpful Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.