Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

I want to prepay interest on my home loan for next financial year

Posted by sharonl sharonl
Message 1 of 2 344 Views

I want to prepay interest on a home loan for the next financial year (because my income is high this financial year and will be low next f/year, and therefore my accountant suggested that I prepay the interest and claim the deduction this f/yr). It's a fixed rate, interest-only loan for an investment property.

Unfortunately, Bankwest won't accept interest payments in advance (what business refuses payment a year in advance?!). I was advised that the only way it's possible is to refinance to an Interest-in-Advance Loan - involving a FULL loan application process; AND interest would then need to be paid in advance EVERY year; AND break/exit fees would apply to current fixed rate loan.

Have other investors tried to prepay interest on Bankwest home loans with success? This is a relatively common accounting/taxation practice and I'm really disappointed that Bankwest can't accommodate what seems like a simple pre-payment of an upcoming known-value expense. 

0 Kudos
SOLUTION

Re: I want to prepay interest on my home loan for next financial year

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 2 341 Views

Hi @sharonl, I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. I can confirm that the information you have been provided is correct, as the Fixed Rate Home Loan allows you to deposit up to a maximum of $10,000 per year (based on your loan disbursal anniversary date) above the minimum monthly repayment amount. Therefore, paying your interest in advance may incur extra fees. An Interest in Advance loan is a separate product, different to that of a Fixed or Variable Home Loan - I'm very sorry that this is likely not the response you were hoping for.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.