Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

(Home loan Portability) Can I "port" my home loan from the property we sell to the one we buy

Posted by LouS LouS
Message 1 of 4 563 Views

I'm trying to find out if our Premium Select Home Loan is "Portable".   As in, if we sell our current property and buy another, can we transfer the mortgage from our current property to the new one. 

I've been advised previously that this can happen so we don't have to pay-out the current mortgage and re-apply for a new loan.  The following requirements/limitations have to be met:

- we can't increase the loan limit amount of our current mortgage (We don't need  or want to)

- the settlement of both the sale of our current homw and purchase of the new have to be on the same day (already arranged)

- the LVR requirements  have to be met.  (We more than meet this requirement - the mortage limit we'd need toretain is less than 25 % of our current mortgage

- there may be a charget do this.

I can't see a reference to mortgage loan portability on the BankWest site but various mortgage brokers list this as  feature of the loan.  Can someone please clarify.

0 Kudos
SOLUTION

Re: (Home loan Portability) Can I "port" my home loan from the property we sell to the one we buy

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 4 556 Views

Hey @LouS, thanks for getting in touch.

Whilst this is something that is possible, you will need to speak with our Securities Team. If you could pop me through an email to Forum@Bankwest.com.au with your full name, best contact number and a brief outline as to what it is you're needing to do (much like you have above) I'll get this through to the team and have them contact you.

Thanks!

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

SOLUTION

Re: (Home loan Portability) Can I "port" my home loan from the property we sell to the one

Posted by LouS LouS
Message 3 of 4 549 Views

Hi DanaeC

Thank you for helping.

Also, I found the people at Bank West very co-operative and helpful and willing to provide clear guidance. - so thank you for that.

With us, we are able to "port" our Premium Select Home Loan. We were/are able to meet the conditions/time lines/requirements etc. 

1. Enough time for the bank to get things processed (at least 6 weeks).

2. Both settlements are on the same day

3. Both properties in the same State  .

4. Mortgage limit on our current home is the same or less  - ie that the amount of the mortgage does not increase

5. The LVR conditions for the current home (at this point in time) and the new home are complied with.

6. Valuation of the new home is OK

7. Ensure that the conveyancer(s) or solicitors are involved

8. The bank needs a number of documents  - eg - contracts for the sale and purchase, certs of title etc etc

9. There are forms to fil out (eg proof of identity, mortgage release and other info)

10. We have to allow around $1000 for costs to cover things like - Portability costs, - Registration of new mortgage, - Solicitors costs including preparation of new mortgages / discharge of existing mortgage - settlement discharge of existing mortgage - Search fees.

Hope this provides useful information for others looking into porting their home loan.

Overall, this is easier than having to re-apply for a new loan and all the associated hoops you have to jump through.

Re: (Home loan Portability) Can I "port" my home loan from the property we sell to the one

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 4 of 4 547 Views

Glad we were able to help out @LouS, have a great day and thanks for banking with us!

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.