Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

overseas atm

Posted by Davooo267 Davooo267
Message 1 of 2 88 Views

To whom it may concern,

I’ve been travelling recently and am still overseas at the moment. I have been using cash thus far and have since run out and wanted to make a withdrawal from my account. I went to a local atm and saw they accepted mastercard. I put my card and pin in. I wanted to withdraw the local currency for the equivalent of $90 Australian dollars. I put in that amount clicked confirm but no money or receipt came out, only my card did. Being confused, i put my card in again and attempted to put in my pin in again but the machine did not recognise it. Three times later the machine kept my card, as would any. Its now been a couple hours since then and i’ve logged into the app and seen that no money has been withdrawn (for now anyways). If money does get withdrawn (seems unlikely though) what would i do? Also another problem is my card is stuck in a foreign atm and i’m not entirely sure what to do. I would like to know if it is possible to get my card back or if it will be easier to cancel and order an new one to arrive at my Australian address. If so, i would like to know if it would be cancelled immediately and how long it would take for a new one to arrive. 

Any help is appreciated. Thankyou!

0 Kudos
SOLUTION

Re: overseas atm

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 2 82 Views

Hi @Davooo267, I believe I have just replied to your Private Message with regards to this.

Firstly, if the money does debit your account, we'll certainly be able to dispute the amount(s) for you. Generally speaking it would be safest to place a hold on your card, which you can actually do if you have the most updated version of the Bankwest Mobile App. Just click on the "Manage" tab of the account the card is linked to.

If you're unable to do this, via the Forum we can't view your full details though we can arrange a hold on the card for you. Can you please confirm your full name, and the last 4 digits of the card number (if known) or the colour of the card to Forum@Bankwest.com.au? Alternatively, you can login to Online Banking from a PC and select the "Message us Now" button on screen and discuss this with a consultant at any time. You may then be able to arrange an Emergency Replacement Card with MasterCard International* via the details below, so you don't have to stress about being stuck!

If preferred you will be able to completely cancel your current card, and order a new one to be sent to your address on file, or to your closest branch in Aus. It does take around 10 business days to arrive, so we wouldn't recommend arranging a new card until you know you'll be home to collect it.

If you're unable to chat to us within your Online Banking, you can instead give us a call on +61 8 9486 4130 from a landline overseas. This is a 24/7 reverse charges number, though as you would need to contact the International Operator in the country you are in, I am unable to advise if there would be any charges applied by the local or international telephone company for contacting the operator.

I hope this helps!

*MasterCard International can offer assistance with emergency cash or card replacement. They can be contacted on +1 636 722 7111. If using an International Operator you may reverse the charges when calling from a landline telephone. Again, please note that we have no control over any charges applied by the local or international telephone company for contacting the operator.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.