Ask a new question
Forum Manager
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

Team Travel Tips for banking overseas

[ Edited ]
Posted by PeteW PeteW
Message 1 of 3 8,796 Views

I reached out to my Bankwest colleagues and pulled together a bunch of #TeamTravelTips for our customers heading overseas this holiday season. Please give some Kudos if you like them and make sure you share your own tips below!

“Take more than one card with you and make sure you keep them separate.” – KarmaK, Enterprise Services

“Keep hold of your left over foreign cash when you get back – it’ll give you a kick start for your next trip Smiley Happy” – KristinaW, Customer Solutions

“Don’t rely on one source of funds. Take cash as well as a card to help cover you in case you lose one of them or there’s an issue with a restaurant’s EFTPOS machine for example.” – EleanorR, Group Credit

"Keep your Skype account topped up with some credit so if you need to call Bankwest, you can, using WiFi.” – JustinJ, Mobile App Development

"Consider one of our Platinum MasterCards. Your foreign transaction fees are waived (including online purchases so it’s great even when you’re not travelling) and you can use it anywhere MasterCard is accepted. It even has complimentary travel insurance (T&Cs apply of course Smiley Happy).” - Subiaco Store

"Keep important contact numbers handy (in your phone and your safe) in case you need to contact Bankwest about a lost or stolen card, MasterCard for emergency card replacement or cash, or your insurance provider.” – PeteW, Digital

"Let us know your travel plans before you go by using the Bankwest App so we can help get you set up.” – BrianP, Contact Centre

"Email your family members your itinerary so they’re aware of your travel plans, and check out smarttravller.gov.au before you go to get travel advice for the country you’re visiting to be informed and prepare for your travels.” – SarahF, Bankwest Forum

"Get a prepaid local SIM card to save some money on calls/text/data – but take your Australian one too just in case (just make sure you keep it safe).” – MeganB, Contact Centre

You’ll also find helpful info in the posts listed below from @LyndsC and yours truly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
○ If you find a response helpful remember to give it 'Kudos'.
○ If it answered your question, make it easier for others to find by selecting 'Accept as Solution'.
SOLUTION

Re: Team Travel Tips for banking overseas

Posted by mayhewga mayhewga
Message 2 of 3 7,167 Views

Some more tips gleaned from multiple trips to Europe each year (I use the Bankwest Mastercard Platinum to save OS fees):

Avoid using foreign exchange services either here or overseas (especially at airports), The fees and poor exchange rates make our already weak dollar even worse. ATMs are everywhere in most civilised places.

Currency exchange debit cards issued by banks, airlines, post offices etc here in OZ are an expensive way to carry money, and topping them up is expensive and messy. Most places accept credit cards where you would use these cash cards anyway. Merchants in Western Europe are perfectly happy to accept payment by credit card even for relatively small amounts (unlike the "minimum $10" we often see in Australia).

Use your phone app or internet banking to transfer funds into your Mastercard to pay out your balance and put your card into credit by the amount you are going to draw before drawing money out of ATMs, this saves cash out fees. (It's instantaneous so you can transfer and immediately withdraw).

Use an app like XE Currency to see the amount you need to draw in local/AUD currency to determine how much to transfer.

Be aware that many countries' EFTPOS machines will still require a signature even though you have used a PIN.

(no one checks the signature anyway, so its obviously just one of those things).

Watch out for hotels' or other merchants' EFTPOS machines which give the option for payment in either $AUD or local currency, always choose local to avoid doubled up conversion/foreign fees.

Re: Team Travel Tips for banking overseas

Posted by SarahF SarahF
Message 3 of 3 7,163 Views

Some great tips there @mayhewga Smiley Happy - I love using Easy Alerts when travelling (especially the foreign transaction alert) as then I get an alert straight away (or when I get wifi) showing how much the item I just bought cost in AUD. So good!

Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.