Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Rental Car insurance - Platinum credit card

Posted by Winno Winno
Message 1 of 4 1,722 Views

I recently had to pay for two punctured tyres on a rental in America because Aliianz who underwrite the insurance said it was not covered.

I will soon be renting a car in the UK and I want to be sure I don't get stung again.

I have read the PDS  https://www.bankwest.com.au/library/pdf/PDS_20060801-154923.pdf

and the wording is very ambiguous, particularly this on page 43:

7. Rental Vehicle Insurance excess

We will reimburse you for any insurance excess or deductible which you become legally liable to pay in respect of a claim under the rental vehicle insurance during the rental period provided:

› the rental vehicle must be rented overseas from a licensed rental agency; and

› as part of the rental agreement you have taken rental vehicle insurance; and

› you have complied with all requirements of the rental organisation under the hiring agreement and of the rental vehicle insurer

What does the line in bold mean?

• I must take rental vehicle insurance from the rental company rather than another insurance provider which is often cheaper?
  • What kind of insurance do I need to take -  fully comprehensive, third party, collision damage waiver?

0 Kudos

Re: Rental Car insurance - Platinum credit card

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 4 1,716 Views

Hi @Winno, thanks for reaching out. I can definitely understand wanting to be sure here!

If you purchased your tickets prior to 01/10/2018, the complimentary insurance is provided by Allianz, whereas from 01/10/2018, Covermore will be the new providers.

You'll need to speak with either vendor to confirm the specifc details here, as even though Bankwest provide the insurance, we are not the underwriters and therefore aren't able to advise on this.

Covermore - 1300 468 340
Allianz - 1800 010 075

Thank you, and have a safe trip.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos

Posted by ama21n ama21n
Message 3 of 4 910 Views

To save everyone time, I took the initiative and rang Covermore, to confirm the cover. Perhaps next time, someone from Bankwest might like to proxy these sorts of queries Smiley Happy

To be eligible, you must either purchase "Motor Vehicle Insurance" or a "Damage Waiver" from either the rental broker/agency or from the rental company. This insurance will come in 3 forms:

1) Full cover with no excess, where you pay upfront a significant fee and if anything goes wrong you pay $0. In this case, the Bankwest/Covermore benefit is useless, as you're completely covered anyway

2) Partial cover with an excess <= $250. If the car is damaged, you pay up to the agreed excess (<$250). In this case the Bankwest/Covermore benefit is useless, as they will charge you their own $250 excess

3) Partial cover with an excess > $250. This is the only case where the benefit works, as Covermore will cover everything, but you need to pay their excess of $250

Hope this helps everyone Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Posted by Moke Moke
Message 4 of 4 712 Views

Covermore will not cover you for tyres or windscreens.

Top of Pg 51:

This benefit does not cover items such as, but not limited
to, tyres and/or windscreens if they are not covered by the
motor vehicle insurance or damage waiver purchased from
the rental company or agency.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P
© 2019 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.