Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

MasterCard failed "Invalid number" in ABSA bank card readers in South Africa (Visa worked)

Posted by anmari anmari
Message 1 of 2 266 Views

We got our Platinum Mastercards for the sole purpose of using them overseas and for foreign transactions since the card does not have foreign transaction fees.    It worked in some places in South Africa however when I tried to use it to pay for takeway food in Ceres in South Africa, it failed.  They said it said 'invalid number'.  I tried again a week later on the return trip at the same place.   Same failure.  Luckily I had another card (Visa) from another bank that did work. 

The card reader device said it was an ABSA bank device.    

I had notified that I was travelling in South Africa and the card had worked at a supermarket, and another takeaway food place in South Africa.  Why did it fail?  Is there something wrong with the card? Should I get it replaced to avoid this happening again? 

0 Kudos

Re: MasterCard failed "Invalid number" in ABSA bank card readers in South Africa (Visa worked)

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 2 255 Views

Hi @anmari, sorry to hear of the experience you've had here.

Generally speaking, if there was an issue with the card itself, it wouldn't be working anywhere, and not just in one place. Whilst we're unable to view your account(s) via the Forum, I'd really like to ensure that this is looked into for you. If you can login to your Online Banking from a PC and select the "Message us Now" tab, or give our Contact Centre a call on +61 8 9486 4130* from a landline overseas, we can investigate what might have happened here. Both services are available 24/7 for your convenience.

*This is a reverse charges number, though as you would need to contact the International Operator in the country you are in, I am unable to advise if there would be any charges applied by the local or international telephone company for contacting the operator.

Let me know how you go.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.