on 27-11-2015 08:50 AM - last edited on 10-02-2017 09:10 AM by PeteW
Holidays are a time for relaxing, and not having to worry about how to access your money in another country! Below are a handful of tips to assist you in accessing your money overseas, so you can spend time enjoying yourself and be confident that your money is safe.
- Notify us of your travel plans prior to departing Australia via the Bankwest App or an Overseas Travel Notification Form in online banking.
- Inform us if you won't have roaming enabled on your phone so we can temporarily disable SMS Code for you.
- Make a note of the international contact numbers in case you need to contact us while you’re away. It’s a good idea to keep these separate from your cards too.
- When using an ATM or purchasing something with your card it’s important to select credit, as the cheque and savings options will only work within Australia.
- Make sure you’re aware of the fees and charges to use your card overseas. Some of these include:
- Foreign Transaction Fee of 2.95% of the transaction amount which applies to each transaction occurring outside of Australia and is waived for all Bankwest Platinum and World MasterCard credit card holders.
- Overseas ATM Fee which applies to each cash withdrawal, balance enquiry and declined transaction using a Debit MasterCard or MasterCard Credit Card. If you have a Bankwest Qantas Transaction Account or Rewards Transaction Account this fee is waived.
- Cash Advance Fees which apply to cash withdrawals from your credit card. Interest charges may also apply.
It’s a good idea to check your account’s terms and conditions or product disclosure statement before you leave to see which of these apply to your account.
Check out our Team Travel Tips for more helpful info
on 27-11-2015 01:58 PM
LyndsC wrote:Foreign Transaction Fee of 2.95% of the transaction amount which applies to each transaction occurring outside of Australia and is waived for all Bankwest Platinum MasterCard credit card holders.
Can I just check that the World Mastercard has the foreign transaction fees waived too? (That was my understanding when I upgraded from the Platinum)
on 30-05-2017 10:40 AM
I have a Qantas Platinum Master card and plan to preload cash into the card before leaving Aust. If I choose Credit when making an ATM withdrawal in the USA what fees and charges can I expect to pay before I use the preloaded cash and when using a cash advance?
on 30-05-2017 11:59 AM
Thanks for your question @GlennV, if you have a platinum or world Bankwest Mastercard credit card the foreign transaction fee (which is usually 2.95%) is waived, so the only fees you should be charged while overseas would be cash advance fee which is 2% of transaction amount or $4 (whichever is greater, however if the card is in a surplus credit of your own funds at the time of the withdrawal this would be capped at $4).
on 14-07-2017 11:37 PM
Just some clarification on the below in regards to fees for withdrawing cash from an atm overseas. You state that if your Bankwest Platinum Master card is in surplus credit you are only charged a fee capped at $4. If for example I had already spent $2000 on the credit card this month & I wanted to withdraw $500 at an atm, would I have to pay my existing credit card expenses (prior to them being due) plus $500 I want to withdraw to avoid being charged a foreign transaction fee or could I just transfer $500 from my savings account to my credit card & not worry about paying the existing $2000 till it was due in my next monthly statement & still avoid the foreign transaction fee?