Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Depositing cheques from United States into my Bankwest account

[ Edited ]
Posted by cdurber90 cdurber90
Message 1 of 4 632 Views

I spent 12 months working the US and have recently receive my federal and state tax return cheques. Both have my full name on them.

Will I have any issues depositing these into my Bankwest account? Can I deposit these electronically or do I have to visit a local branch?

0 Kudos

Re: Depositing cheques from United States into my Bankwest account

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 2 of 4 628 Views

Hi @cdurber90, thanks for contacting us in regards to this. Whilst a Foreign Cheque can be deposited into a transactional account, this done need to be done in store. It will also be deposited at the discretion of the Teller - this is because they would need to ensure that all information matches as per your Bankwest account, as well as being required to complete the relevant security checks with the remitting bank. It's also important to note that there is a 30 business day clearance time for these types of cheques, as well as a possible $15 cheque negotiation fee. The applied exchange rate will also be discussed on the day that the cheque is deposited. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 3 of 4 611 Views

Hey @LyndsC, are you sure about those fees?

If the original poster is receiving their US Federal tax refund on a cheque drawn against the US Treasury, then V38 Pg. 2 of Your Guide To Banking Fees (http://www.bankwest.com.au/library/pdf/PDS_20040121-160125.pdf) states that cheque would be free if deposited with a 30 day clearing period; or $5.00 if deposited as cleared funds.

0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 4 of 4 589 Views

Hi @thewinchester, the possible fee I have mentioned above would apply if the cheque is not a US treasury cheque. As the customer has not mentioned who has issued the cheque I didn't want to make an assumption that it was and not mention the fee.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.