Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Bankwest platinum MasterCard use in Cuba

Posted by Intorox Intorox
Message 1 of 7 1,586 Views
I've rest a lot of inconsistent answers to my question across various forums on the internet so I'm hoping ng you can give me a solid answer. Can Bankwest credit cards, specifically the MasterCard platinum, be used to withdraw cash at ATMs or banks or make purchases? I've read that even though the US embargo has been lifted some credit cards still do not work in Cuba. I haven't specifically read any problems about using the Bankwest cards but nor have I seen any confirmation that they work. Would be great if you can set the record straight on this.
0 Kudos

Re: Bankwest platinum MasterCard use in Cuba

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 2 of 7 1,581 Views

Hi @Intorox, I've spoken with our Credit Card Team and while we don't do anything to stop your Bankwest cards from working in Cuba (our cards will work anywhere that accepts MasterCard), it's best to ensure that this is not your only source of funds as there may be some restrictions beyond our control.

You can read more about this on the Smart Traveller Website

0 Kudos

Message 3 of 7 1,579 Views
Ok. Thanks. Will be an interesting trip. I'll let you know if it works or not!
0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 4 of 7 1,577 Views

Don't forget to let us know of your plans before you leave @Intorox! You can do this by completing an Overseas Travel Online Notification Form. I hope you have a great time!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Posted by Gunwalls Gunwalls
Message 5 of 7 1,352 Views

Hey @Intorox

We're heading to Cuba soon. How did you go with your Bankwest cards? More concerned about withdrawing cash from ATMs with a Bankwest MasterCard Debit card as I've seen there's not a lot of acceptance of credit cards, but any info you have on Bankwest cards and Cuba would be super useful.

Thanks so much in advance (and hope you had/have a super holiday depending on timing) 

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7 1,344 Views
@Gunwalls

Hi

We didn't use our credit card. Neither the ATM was too dodgy or the lines were too long. We brought cash. Only other problem to consider with cash is knowing the difference between CUC and pesos. We were given pesos on one occasion instead of CUC and lost about 90% of the value of our money. This occurred at a bank!!! I've read many posts on Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor that credit cards can be used since the US lifted the embargo a few months ago but this was after our trip. Cash is king and the country is well worth the visit.

Posted by Gunwalls Gunwalls
Message 7 of 7 1,342 Views

Thanks @Intorox for the response. Glad you had a great time, and thanks for the tips. We'll definitely take cash (and check our change). We're not heading there until next year, so early planning and I suspect there will be more changes with the embargo lift, but good to hear others' experiences. Thanks again and have an awesome weekend.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.