Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
Community Team

The epitome of a pillar of the community

Posted by KimberleyC KimberleyC
Message 1 of 2 1,307 Views

A Wagin stalwart has been recognised for his contribution to town life, awarded a $10,000 donation to a charity of his choice he’s chosen the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Brenden Hall, the branch manager of our Wagin’s Bankwest branch, has been named as the 2018 Bankwest Volunteer of the Year in recognition for his longstanding support to his community.

He says the RFDS is close to his heart. "My mum had an ectopic pregnancy before I was born so if they weren't around, I wouldn't be here. Then dad had a serious heart attack and they saved his life as well. They've also made a couple of other trips out for other members of my family.

We're in the middle of nowhere so we'd be lost without the service. If the prize was for me I probably wouldn't want to take it but to be able to give it to the RFDS, that was just amazing." he said.

Brenden has been at Bankwest in Wagin for over 14 years and describes his job as being a "jack of all trades."

There’s only me and one other colleague here most of the time and so we’re across everything – dealing with customers’ queries, meeter and greeter, teller, manager - and whatever else is needed to keep the branch running.” he said.

But it is his work outside of his 9-to-5 which has earned him the recognition - to say Brenden is passionate about helping others is an understatement. A fire and emergency services volunteer for more than 10 years, he's an office bearer for the Wagin Volunteer Fire Brigade and he volunteers at every one of the sporting clubs he plays with – including cricket, basketball, hockey and darts.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I like being busy and I like how it makes me feel. Sports and volunteering are how we keep our little towns running. I've done it for so long that I'd be lost without it.” he said.

Brenden takes great care to point out that the tough parts are greatly outweighed by saving people's lives and making a difference – and the volunteering spirit runs in his family.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service thanked Brenden for the donation.

Hall RFDS 1.jpg

RFDS Western Operations CEO Rebecca Tomkinson said: “We know first-hand the impact individuals like Brenden have in creating change and outcomes in our communities and the value of Brenden’s effort and commitment to volunteering cannot be underestimated. I’m sure he inspires all those he works and interacts with.

Brenden’s donation will go towards supporting our delivery of essential health services at remote and rural communities across the state, the maintenance and operational costs of our current fleet and in the purchasing of a wide range of the latest medical equipment.

On behalf of our teams and patients across the state – thank you so much for choosing the RFDS for your generous donation.”

0 Kudos

Re: The epitome of a pillar of the community

Posted by elmaasheley147 elmaasheley147
Message 2 of 2 1,254 Views

Thanks for sharing this.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P
© 2019 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.