Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
kh
New Contributor

Supplementary credit cards with different card numbers?

Posted by kh kh
Message 1 of 5 110 Views

I am a long term Citibank customer and have had their Prestige card for many years and have supplementary cards for my wife and children. We made to decision to move away from Citibank due to reduced cost-benefit (it's a very expensive credit card) and after looking at what alternatives were on offer we decided to switch to Bankwest MoreWord cards (we have had our Bankwest cards for two months now).

One thing we weren't expecting was that the MoreWorld primary card has exactly the same number as the supplementary cards. My wife and I use these cards for both business and personal expediture and we are accustomed to our Citibank cards having different numbers, which helps when identifying and correctly classifying expenses on the monthly statement. Also, its useful to see what the kids are spending!

However, with the Bankwest statements there is no way to match expenses to the cardholder. Just to make things even more difficult, I have noticed on the Bankwest card statements that charges do not have the correct dates against them where the transaction occurs over the weekend - it appears that any transaction over the weekend is dated the following Monday.

I really don't want to renew our Citibank cards, but I'm not sure if I can cope with the difficulty of working out who spent what each month on our Bankwest cards. I would like to know if there is any possibility of Bankwest issuing individual card numbers for supplementary cards, and (less critical) whether you will start recording charge dates correctly?

Also, the Citibank cards have an alert feature whereby we get notified of any transaction over a certain threshold - does the MoreWorld card have aything like that?

0 Kudos

Re: Supplementary credit cards with different card numbers?

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 5 102 Views

Hi @kh, whilst the transactions will be listed in the date order in which they have been cleared within Online Banking, once your statement is issued these will be shown in chronological order based on the date they're initiated.

Our credit card products will allow up to 3 additional cards under one primary card. This is because the Primary Card Holder is the "owner" of the account and has authorised the Additional Card Holders to transact on their account using replica's of their card, just in their own name. As the card number is used as the account number, if the additional card's were to have different numbers, the account numbers would also be different. As the transactions all debit the same account, they're all listed on the same statement and we are unable to differentiate between card holders I'm sorry.

While we do have our Easy Alerts function through our Mobile App to send notifications for certain transactions and notifications, there isn't one for purchases over a certain dollar value. I've passed this through to our App Team for consideration on future updates.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
kh
New Contributor

Posted by kh kh
Message 3 of 5 85 Views

Thanks DanaeC.

It is possible to have different numbers on supplementary cards, because that is exactly what Citibank do with their credit cards. On my Citibank Visa statement, there is a different section for each cardholder/card number, so I can clearly see who is spending what.

There is another problem with the Bankwest cards having the same number for primary and supplementary cards - Paypal won't allow the same credit card number to be used on more than one account. So that means our family members who have supplementary cards need to have another credit card for their Paypal accounts.

On balance I think I am going to have to keep my Citibank Prestige card and we will have to cancel the Bankwest Card at the end of the first year. It's unfortunate, because Bankwest provides much better service that Citibank, but the MoreWorld card lacks the features of the Citibank card. 

0 Kudos

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 4 of 5 84 Views

Hi @kh.

The one account owner has given permission for up to 3 other people to access the account. The way that the our Credit Cards work mean that only the Primary Card Holder is responsible for the operation of the account. Any transactions made on either the primary or additional cards all come from the same account (this is the card number on our Credit Card products), which is why we won't be able to use different numbers on any additional card.

I do apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause, and I have passed on your feedback.

0 Kudos
kh
New Contributor

Posted by kh kh
Message 5 of 5 80 Views

Hi DanaeC, this has nothing to do with the "responsibility" for the account. There is no question that the primary card holder is responsible for the account, regardless how many supplementary cards at attached to the account. However, if there are multiple people spending money on the account, the primary cardholder will almost always want to know who is spending what. The way your Moreworld cards work makes administration difficult. it also makes it impossible for all the users of the suplementary to have seperate accounts with companies such as Paypal, because they don't allow the same card number to be attached to more than one account.

Basically, I am suggesting that you change how your card and account numbers are structured so that it is similar to how Citibank credit cards work (or at least their Prestige card). Their "account" number is not the same as the card number, which enables them to issue multiple supplementary cards, each with it's own number.

I'm glad you have passed my feedback on.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.