Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
kh
New Contributor

More World MC complimentary travel insurance

Posted by kh kh
Message 1 of 5 114 Views

Hi,

My wife recently got a Bankwest More World Mastercard and got supplementary cards for myself and our two children (who are young adults). We did this so that our son could book and pay for an airline ticket to the UK be covered by the complimentary travel insurance. 

Although he will not be travelling with the primary cardholder, my understanding is that he is entitled to the complimentary travel insurance because he is a 'Cardholder'  - he has a supplementary card in his name.

From the terms and conditions of the complimentary travel insurance, I get the impression that (in the event of a claim) he may be called upon to prove that he booked and paid for the airline ticket on his card. However, all four cards you have issued to us have exactly the same card number, expiry date and even the same CCV number.

Given that no insurance certificate or other assurance is issued in relation to the complimentary travel insurance we are nervous about relying on this.

I called Allianz to discuss this and they said he is covered by the complimentary travel insurance. When I asked them how could he prove that he booked the flight using his supplementary card, they said something like "it's okay, Bankwest can verify that".

My question is, how?

0 Kudos

Re: More World MC complimentary travel insurance

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 5 110 Views

Hi @kh, you are correct. As long as $500 of pre-paid travel expenses on the additional card and have a return airfare prior to departure then the insurance will be valid.

Our systems are able to differentiate between the Primary Card Holder and any Additional Card Holders, dependant on how a transaction is processed. For security reasons I won't be able to advise exactly how this works, but I can let you know that it is based on the name on the card, and the card sequence number assigned to each holder.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
kh
New Contributor

Posted by kh kh
Message 3 of 5 93 Views

Thanks DanaeC,

That does help (give me a little more confidence), however I am still puzzled how you can tell which card is which when we have four cards with exactly the same number. I'm sure your systems are able to differentiate between the Primary Card Holder and any Additional Card Holders when they are swiped at a terminal, but when someone is entering the card details into say the Qantas web site, you can't possibly detect which card is being used.

Although I suppose the fact that there is a card with that number issued to the person who's name is on the flight booking, is adequate proof of purchase.

Another question I which I would like confirmation from you on if possible - my wife and I are travelling to the UK (separately from our son) and I have booked and paid for car hire in the UK (which cost over $500) on my supplementary Bankwest MoreWorld card. Does that mean we are insured for the excess on the car hire? (up to the limits for that type of risk)

0 Kudos

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 4 of 5 92 Views

That's right @kh - as long as the traveller is a card holder and their name is on the booking, this would be sufficient.

You'll be covered for the excess on the Car Hire as you've mentioned above that you have met the criteria. If you wanted to be sure you can contact Allianz on 1800 785 918 - this is because although Bankwest provide the insurance, Allianz are the underwriters of the policy and therefore will be able to confirm that you have met the criteria, and advise exactly what will be covered.

0 Kudos
kh
New Contributor

Posted by kh kh
Message 5 of 5 86 Views

Thanks DanaeC. I have already spoken to Allianz, but proof of eligibility is effectively controlled by Bankwest, which is why I am asking here also.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.