Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

closure of branches/deposits

Posted by Shazza053 Shazza053
Message 1 of 6 754 Views

I joined Bankwest several years ago as my local branch opened on a Saturday and Sunday.  Then they closed weekends altogether.

Now I hear that they are totally closing my local branch as well as any other branch remotely close to where I live.  Not happy at all.  What if I have to bank some cash or cheque.  What if a family member is putting money into my account.

What are you doing to compensate people who bank with you??? I dont want to have to close up my accounts 

Angry

0 Kudos

Re: closure of branches/deposits

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 6 749 Views

Hi @Shazza053, thank you for reaching out.

This has been a tough call to make, and we appreciate the impact this may have on some of our customers.
It's good to note that Australia Post outlets that offer Bank@Post services offer withdrawals up to $1000, cash and cheque deposits up to $6000, account balance enquiries and bill payments. This link to the Australia Post website will help you find your nearest Bank@Post outlet. Any electronic transfers/payments will not be affected.

If you'd like to discuss this further, or are after any further info, please send your full name and best contact number to Forum@Bankwest.com.au, and we'll get in touch.

Thank you.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos

Posted by areid areid
Message 3 of 6 299 Views

I'm sorry but this is a terribly inadequate response to customers.

I have recently sold my house and need to transfer a large amount from BW to another bank. Because the amount exceeds the (relatively small) online limits, I need a bank cheque. 

How do I get a bank cheque? Well, I guess I need to visit the one remaining branch in all of Brisbane. It is in the CBD, making it inconvenient and expensive to visit. And I am guessing there will be quite a wait given they are servicing an entire city of people.

This honestly leaves me with no choice but to change banks.

0 Kudos

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 4 of 6 294 Views

I'm really sorry you feel that way @areid.

If you're set up with SMS Code security, you can increase your Online Banking Transfer limit up to $20,000 per day yourself via the “Payment Limits” tab under “Payments and Transfers”. All parties to an account can do this within their own Online Banking access, though please note that these transfers can take up to 3 business days to arrive in the recipient's account.

If you are required to transfer the funds in one transaction, you can request that we process a Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS). There is a fee (currently $35 AUD) for this, as well as a possible inward payment order fee on the receiving account. If you are located more than 50km away from a branch, you can complete the RTGS form and email it to IMT.Retail@bankwest.com.au, or fax it to 1300 130 885 for action within 2 - 3 business days. It does state International Transfer Form, though the required details are the same - just disregard the SWIFT Code and Exchange Rate details.

If you are within 50km and able to get into a branch with the form (prior to 11.15am AWST) then the recipient should get the funds by close of business the same day.

Alternatively, if you would prefer to obtain a Bank Cheque, you will need to pop into your closest Bankwest branch. A Bank Cheque will debit the funds from your account immediately, and once deposited into the recipients account can take 3 - 5 business days to clear.

I do apologise for any inconvenience or disappointment caused. 

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos

Posted by areid areid
Message 5 of 6 289 Views

Thank you for your response @DanaeC,

but again., it is terribly inadequate.

Do you not see the problem with penalising customers with a $35 fee because you have closed all but one branch in a major city?

I need to transfer an amount much larger than $20,000. As you have said, my only option is to either pay $35 by using a form labelled 'International Transfer' (for a domestic transfer BTW), or take time off work, pay $20+ for parking and then an additional $10 for a bank cheque.

It is what it is, but why in the world would I stay with a bank which penalises customers by restricting access to branches so heavily?

Posted by acarrisueno acarrisueno
Message 6 of 6 226 Views

I too have been hugely inconvenienced by branch closures. My husband and I took out an investment mortgage and offset account with BW in 2012 at the time we had a local branch 15 mins away that was open weekends. Over time the hours reduced and now the branch has closed alltogether.

We live on the Northern Beaches, which is an area not known for great public transport links so what do BW do? They close the ONLY branch in our area and the closest one now is in Sydney CBD which is a 2.5 HOUR ROUND TRIP FROM US BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT! You can't really drive in unless you're happy to spend $60 on tolls and parking for 20 minutes without any exaggeration. 

At the moment we are looking to buy a house and need a bank cheque so I have to take time off work to go into the city. What is the point of being owned by CBA if you're not going to be able to provide better support and more conveneint facilities for your customers!? BW should have an agreement with CBA to allow certain types of transactions that need to be done in person, like ordering bank cheques, to be completed in their branches. 

I will honestly NEVER choose BW again and will be moving banks as soon as I am able. WHAT A JOKE!

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.