Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
Senior Contributor

Why did Bankwest remove the $100 overdraft facility from customer transaction accounts?

Posted by cgm cgm
Message 1 of 4 1,347 Views

The $100 transaction account overdraft was a great feature, and provided customers with greater certainty.

What were Bankwest's reasons for removing this customer centric feature?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Why did Bankwest remove the $100 overdraft facility from customer transaction accounts?

Posted by cgm cgm
Message 2 of 4 1,316 Views

Any update on this one @PeteW@LyndsC or @SarahF?

I've loved this feature.

0 Kudos

Re: Why did Bankwest remove the $100 overdraft facility from customer transaction accounts?

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 3 of 4 1,311 Views

Having that $100 overdraft facility on the account actually required us to run a credit check on every customer that opened one @cgm. So whilst it can be seen as a customer centric feature, it was also a barrier for some customers, especially when they didn't even want/need the feature to begin with.

After reviewing the product to ensure it was delivering the most value to our customers and our business, we removed the facility from the account.

I'm not suggesting the two are directly related, but we have also released a new everyday account in 2015 which offered additional features. My point is, we're always looking at ways to deliver the best products to our customers.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Posted by cgm cgm
Message 4 of 4 1,308 Views

Thanks for letting me know the reason behind Bankwest removing this function @LyndsC!

It's a shame Bankwest didn't go down the path of a opt-out option for those with a poor credit check, or those customers who didn't want it. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Mad Smiley Sad

Why wouldn't you want it though?  You were always guaranteed a safety net.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.