Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Unhappy

Posted by Unhappy Unhappy
Message 1 of 4 387 Views

The second term of my term deposit has just matured. At the end of the first term, I received a letter which said that I could just do nothing and have the term deposit rolled over. I decided to do that, expecting that the term deposit would be rolled over on THE SAME TERMS. Buried in the text of the long letter was a new interest rate which was almost half the rate applying to the first term. The table outlining the amount of interest payable didn't list a rate, just said 'Interest at maturity'.  Surely it is unethical to ask someone to sign on to terms without saying what they are, or flagging very clearly/warning that the rate was significantly different. Doesn't seem to be a very transparent way to do business. I've been a loyal BankWest customer for 20 years. I asked them if they could resolve the issue and was told they couldn't, even though I wasn't the first person to have been caught out in this way. Time for me to bank elsewhere!! 

0 Kudos

Re: Unhappy

Message 2 of 4 385 Views

The rate it reverted to for my term (7 months) was 1.50%. If I had reduced the term to 6 months at that time instead of rolling it over, the rate I would have been offered was 2.60%. 🙄

0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 3 of 4 372 Views

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way @Unhappy - Whilst your interest rate is locked in for the term of your current deposit, they are subject to change on maturity and we can't guarantee that the same rate would be available if you allow the deposit to roll over automatically. The letter does invite you to contact us to discuss your options and what rates are available. Our current interest rates are always available for you to view via our website (https://www.bankwest.com.au/personal/save-invest-rates#content-raf-1239482896).

If you are unhappy with your term deposit you are welcome to contact us via the below form to discuss your complaint further.

https://www.bankwest.com.au/retail-forms/contact-customer-relations

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos

Message 4 of 4 370 Views

Thanks LyndsC

How you have described it in your post is much clearer than it was in the long letter I received at the time. Clearly I would have called if I thought I needed to discuss my options, however I thought I had rolled over in the same terms - no discussion needed. 

I have lodged a complaint. Hopefully this will result in a change to the letter such that it is clearer and more transparent, such that customers know what they are signing onto. Funny that the easiest option for the customer is weighted in the banks favour. Still unhappy. 

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.