Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Smart ATM Deposit Retained Cash

Posted by kc85 kc85
Message 1 of 7 1,947 Views

I attempted to deposit $10,000 in cash at your Bourke St branch in Melbourne when the ATM malfunctioned and subsequently locked up. I have since been in touch with the branch who physically counted up the money stuck in the cash receptacle to be $9,900. This was because one of the $100 notes was scrunched by the machine and I removed it when it was rejected.

This was a week ago and I still do not have the money deposited into my account. I signed a disputed transaction form last week, but would argue if it was a disputed transaction in the first place since no transaction actually occurred and Bankwest are holding on to $9,900 of cash thay belongs to me for which I do not have access to and have overdue bills to pay. I have been told this could take up to 21 days and that is simply not good enough. I tried to call up your customer relations team yesterday to lodge a complaint hopefully to be able to fast track a resolution only to be told that there was no one available and that I would receive a call back within 24-48 hours. This is also unacceptable.

I think this is absolutely ludicrous that there does not exist a better process considering there is CCTV proof that I attempted to deposit the money, and that I knew exactly how much my deposit was for. I have raised a complaint with AFCA as well but in the mean time I need to get this resolved as you are causing me a lot of undue stress and mental anguish as I do not have access to other funds. Meanwhile I have been charged a dishonor fee due to my account being overdrawn from a Bankwest mortgage payment because Bankwest are holding on to my money and are taking their own sweet time in getting it back to me.

The branch manager at Bourke St on the other hand has been very helpful and provides me with updates, however there is only so much she can do.

0 Kudos

Re: Smart ATM Deposit Retained Cash

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 2 of 7 1,941 Views

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened @kc85 and can appreciate this is an incredibly frustrating and stressful time. 

Would you mind sending an email to forum@bankwest.com.au with your Forum username, full name and best contact number so I can escalate this for you? 

0 Kudos

Posted by kc85 kc85
Message 3 of 7 1,933 Views

So after 48 hours since attempting to call the customer relations team and being told that a note was placed on my account, no one has tried to get in contact with me. With only 2 business days left until Christmas, you, Bankwest are putting me in a very difficult position. My mental state has deteriorated significantly due to financial pressures and there is no sense of urgency on your part.

0 Kudos

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 4 of 7 1,924 Views

Hi @kc85, thanks for sending your info through. I've forwarded this to the team and you should expect a call shortly.

I'm very sorry for the delay in my reply and apologise for any further stress this has caused. 

0 Kudos

Posted by kc85 kc85
Message 5 of 7 1,916 Views

Another day has passed and I have still not yet heard from Bankwest. I tried to call 13 17 19 only to be told there was yet again no one available to take my call. With one business day to go until Christmas, I cannot even begin to describe the difficult position you are putting me in and the stress and mental anguish this has caused.

Bankwest clearly does not care about its customers. I will also be seeking legal advice for what essentially is unlawful posession of cash that legally belongs to me that you have now held for almost 1.5 weeks.

0 Kudos

Posted by kc85 kc85
Message 6 of 7 1,905 Views

@MegB Another business day has passed and still no word from anyone at Bankwest. I have yet again tried to ring 13 17 19 and yet again been told that there is no one that can speak to me but they were happy enough to place yet another note on file and tell me I will be contacted within 24-48 hours. This is getting beyond a joke.

I am at a loss for words and cannot begin to describe the nightmare I am currently facing. I now have no access to these funds for Christmas, so thank you Bankwest for ruining my Christmas. To not be able to return a single call is absolutely disgraceful and I hope that anyone who comes across this post thinks twice about banking with Bankwest as their customer care is non-existent.

0 Kudos

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 7 of 7 1,884 Views

Hi @kc85, I've forwarded your message through to your case manager who will be in touch. I'm very sorry you've not yet received the call.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P
© 2019 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.