Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
gwp
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

Nowhere to deposit large cheque

Posted by gwp gwp
Message 1 of 6 1,591 Views

I have a cheque for $10,000 that I wish to deposit in my Bankwest account.

From what I can make out, this is over the limit to deposit at Australia Post.  All the Bankwest branches within 2 hours of me have been closed down.

There seem to be no options for me to make this deposit?

0 Kudos
SOLUTION

Re: Nowhere to deposit large cheque

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 2 of 6 1,588 Views

Hi @gwp, if you're unable to head to one of our branches, or the cheque exceeds the deposit limit for bank@post, you can mail the cheque to us for deposit.

Our postal address is Bankwest, GPO Box E237, Perth WA 6842.

We recommend sending the cheque by registered post and including a note with the name, bsb and account number you want it deposited to.

0 Kudos
gwp

[ Edited ]
Posted by gwp gwp
Message 3 of 6 1,561 Views

Other banks do not have a limit on the amount for cheque deposits at Australia Post, so makes it very awkward that Bankwest does have a limit.  It would be good if the $6000 limit could be increased.

We set up our Bankwest accounts when there were lots of branches in Victoria (most of which have now closed) - and according to the reply above it seems now the only option for larger cheque deposits is the unwieldly, lengthy and costy process of registered post to WA. 

0 Kudos

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 4 of 6 1,556 Views

Thanks for your feedback regarding the deposit limit @gwp, I'll be sure to send this through as I can appreciate this may be inconvenient for those who frequently receive large cheques.

0 Kudos

Posted by PK1606 PK1606
Message 5 of 6 716 Views

I recently deposited a large cheque via BankPost in an amount upwards of $40k and it appeared to go through. I called Bankwest on the day to check if there was a limit on deposit amounts and was advised that there wasn't. Now I'm reading posts on this forum that state a limit of $6000. Has this changed? I assume my cheque wouldn't have gone through if the $6000 limit was in place. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 6 of 6 713 Views

Hey @PK1606, thanks for getting in touch. I can see you have asked 2 questions over 2 posts, though I will respond to both here.

To clarify, the limit of a cheque being deposited via Bank@Post is $999,999.99 - the $6000 limit relates to cash deposits. I am very sorry for any confusion.

While it's not sent to a branch, Australia Post are an authorised third party, which is why there is a longer clearance time of up to 5 - 7 business days, for cheques deposited this way.

A Special Answer is a request to have your cheque cleared faster. This needs to be done in a branch at the time of deposit, wherein we will contact the initiating bank and request that they "release the funds" sooner. There is a fee for this, but no guarantee that we will receive a response from them, I do apologise for any inconvenience.

If you can remember when you called and who you spoke with, please do let me know so that I can ensure the feedback is addressed.

Thank you.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P
© 2019 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.