Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
TH
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

How do I stop an account becoming inoperative?

Posted by TH TH
Message 1 of 2 583 Views
I just had to get an account reopened because it was closed as inoperative. I spoke to several people but none of them could tell me how much I need to leave in there to stop it happening again. I was also told 2 different periods for how long between transactions.
0 Kudos
SOLUTION

Re: How do I stop an account becoming inoperative?

Posted by SarahF SarahF
Message 2 of 2 580 Views

Hi @TH thanks for contacting us in regards to this. There are a few scenarios as to an why an account may be closed. The first could be for Unclaimed money: Changes to the unclaimed money provisions of the Banking Act in 2015 requires Australian banks to close accounts with credit balances, that have not had a customer initiated debit or credit transaction for a period of seven years and which have a balance of $500 or greater, and remit the funds to the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC). If the balance is under $500 the account would still be closed and the funds held until contact is made. Prior to 2015, accounts inactive for a period of three years with a balance greater than $500 were required to be closed and the funds remitted to ASIC. The other scenario would be for an inoperative account which is where it gets a bit tricky however generally this is if you have a low balance (generally under $50-$100) and have not used the account for around 12 months. If this is the case however you can contact us at anytime to have this reopened. ^Sarah

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.