Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

How can I bank a cheque?

Posted by Clairea Clairea
Message 1 of 10 2,714 Views

We don't have any local branches and our personal banking is done online. I received a cheque for my tax refund (even though I asked for it to be deposited into my account), and I am not sure how I can go about banking this. Can you help? 

0 Kudos
SOLUTION

Re: How can I bank a cheque?

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 2 of 10 2,713 Views

Hi Clairea, you can deposit cheques using your card and PIN at an Australia Post store if you don't have any Bankwest stores nearby Smiley Happy

Posted by Wilsonb8 Wilsonb8
Message 3 of 10 2,488 Views
How then can it still take 8 days to clear a cheque with all the technology we have today. Cheques have a unique number, don't they? Linked to the account from which it is drawn. Surely there could be some kind of online system that checks that there is sufficient funds and then makes them available immediately if there is.
0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 4 of 10 2,483 Views

Hi @Wilsonb8,  the clearance time on a cheque will depend on the type of cheque and how you deposit it. I can understand your frustration with the clearance times, however this isn't something we can change. I can certainly pass your feedback onto our payments team. Thanks

0 Kudos

Posted by Clairedec Clairedec
Message 5 of 10 2,169 Views

So I cannot deposit a cheque in an ATM? A Bank West ATM at 7/11 for example or a commonwealth ATM?

0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 6 of 10 2,166 Views

Hi @Clairedec, a cheque can be deposited in a Bankwest Smart ATM which you can locate here. AS our 7/11 ATM's do not have a deposit feature, you can not make any deposits at these ATM's. In regards to Commonwealth Bank ATM's, as these are not Bankwest ATM's you also would not be able to deposit to your Bankwest account here. Thanks.

0 Kudos

Posted by diannej diannej
Message 7 of 10 1,729 Views

Hi LyndsC

Are cheques deposited via Australia Post transferred daily such that available in Bankwest account same/next day?

Is it correct Commonwealth Bank own BankWest?

If so, why is it cannot deposit to BankWet account via Commonwealth Bank ATM?

Is it likely soon will be an integrated BankWest-Commonwealth bank solution for customers?

kind regards

0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 8 of 10 1,728 Views

Hi @diannej, a cheque deposited at an Australia Post store will take ​5 - 7 business days to be cleared into your account as available funds, however if you deposit a cheque in a Bankwest store this would be 3-5 business days for clearance time.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.