Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

Have graduated from university. Am I still able to use my student bank account? or need to change?

Posted by mattjpu94 mattjpu94
Message 1 of 3 739 Views

Hi all. I am a malaysian who graduated from uni almost close to a year ago from now, was wondering if I could still use my student bank account as I'm no longer considered a student anymore? Also I've moved out of Australia back to Malaysia since then to work overseas and havent touched my Aussie bank account since. Have only left a few dollars in there, would it be possible to re use the account again as I plan to try my luck in finding a job there again at some point.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor
SOLUTION

Re: Have graduated from university. Am I still able to use my student bank account? or need to chang

Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 2 of 3 734 Views

According to a quick read of the current Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for this account @mattjpu94, it states that:

"The Student account is an account for full time secondary, tertiary and TAFE students. Trainees and apprentices may also be eligible for a Student account."

If these circumstances no longer apply to you, then you'll likely have to change the account.

As for keeping the account open, there isn't usually any issues with that. In Australia, the account will be declared inactive after an extended period of time (usually 3-7 years) with no deposits or withdrawals.

Information on how Bankwest handles inactive accounts can be found on this page:
http://www.bankwest.com.au/help/personal/products-services/savings-transaction-accounts

0 Kudos

Re: Have graduated from university. Am I still able to use my student bank account? or need to chang

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 3 of 3 725 Views

Thanks for your question @mattjpu94!

@thewinchester is correct, if you're no longer a student you would need to transfer your account to a different everyday account.

You can view and compare all of our everyday accounts, to see which may be best suited to your needs. When you have decided which one you'd like to transfer to, you can give us a call on 13 17 19, or pop into a Bankwest store.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.