Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Deposit retained at smart ATM

Posted by DavidH DavidH
Message 1 of 2 235 Views

This morning around 9:30am I went to deposit $950 at the smart ATM at Centro Maddington. I was in a hurry to work, but thought I'd quickly pop in and deposit he cash. As usual, I entered my pin, selected the deposit transaction option, then selected the cash deposit option, the little cash door opened and I put my money in. The little cash door then closed. I don't recall hearing the usual counting of money noise I usually hear. Then the next thing that popped up on the screen was whether I wanted a printed receipt, displayed on screen or no receipt. Now I  normally select print receipt or display on screen, on this occassion I selected no receipt. Not sure why, maybe because I was in a hurry to get to work. Anyway, nothing happened, the screen remained the same and I couldn't hear any whirring sounds. I thought maybe I hadn't pressed the screen tab hard enough, so I pressed it again. Instantly, a message displayed saying something to the effect of " your cash has been retained". Then another message popped up to the effect of "cash not removed in sufficient time". I looked down at the card slot and my card had been ejected. As the ATM is imediately outside the bank branch and only a couple of meters from the bank teller window, I quickly went to stand in line. There was only one teller at this time and she had a customer. While I was waiting in line, I saw a middle aged lady walk up to the ATM and put her card in. It must have been the wrong card as she took it out and put another card in. When the cash window opened, the pile of cash looked like it could hav ebeen several hundred dollars based on what mine looked like when I went to deposit my money. I'm not saying my money was still in the cash slot, but just making an observation and trying to get as much info as I can. I mentioned all this to the Bankwst lady that mad me fill a form out and made a call to the ATM people who said that only $350 was counted by th machine. Bankwest said they would depsoit the $350 into my account but that it could take up to 3 weeks for the investigation into the whereabouts of my $600 to conclude. The Bankwest lady said when the ATM gets cleared on its next run by the security company, they would see if the final balance was out. My concern is that if my cash was still in the cash window, there would not be any record of this and it would not affect the final ATM transaction balance anyway. I was told I could appeal to the ombudsman after the investigation. Will see what happens between now and three weeks time.

0 Kudos

Re: Deposit retained at smart ATM

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 2 of 2 235 Views

Hi @DavidH, I can understand how frustrating the situation is. We do need to investigate by having you complete a transaction dispute form and arrange for the ATM to be serviced.

Whilst up to 21 days is the time frame we quote, this is a worst case scenario.  Please let me know if you do not receive a resolution in regards to this.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.