Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Bank Less in East Perth

[ Edited ]
Posted by CellarDoor CellarDoor
Message 1 of 7 1,640 Views

I live in East Perth just off Adelaide Terrace.

You might think that I would have Bankwest Branches and ATMs on my doorstep in the city. Not so. As the crow flies it is 1.5 kilometres to my nearest Bankwest Branch or Bankwest ATM.

Is this what Bankwest means with their new ‘Bank Less’ campaign?

(Yes, I know I can use other bank's ATMs but there is also an absence of those, too. East of Barrack Street in the city, which accounts for over half the Perth city footprint, ANZ and CBA are the only Big Four Australian Banks to have ATMs (two each) now that Westpac have closed their branch and ATM in Royal Street. Welcome to your Bank Less future.)

0 Kudos

Re: Bank Less in East Perth

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 2 of 7 1,614 Views

Hi @CellarDoor, I'm sorry that having to travel 1.5km (as the crow flies) to your nearest branch is inconvenient for you. 

As I'm sure you can appreciate, having a branch or an ATM at every doorstep in any city isn't a viable option. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 7 1,602 Views

Thank you MegB for your commiserations. At least ANZ and CBA haven't forsaken the good citizens east of Barrack Street in the city that Bankwest is headquartered in.

0 Kudos

Posted by happicat happicat
Message 4 of 7 1,558 Views

Dude, you're lucky.

I have lived most of my life around the North Perth area and didn't have any trouble finding a bankwest or CBA ATM to use.

I've been living in Scarborough for three years now and I'm very disappointed in the lack of ATM's from either Bankwest or CBA in the area. When I first moved here there was one CBA ATM not far from me (I'm right near Scarborough beach hub). That got torn down with local developments, which is not the end of the world... but it never got replaced... 

For the last two years there has been absolutely NOTHING in Scarborough, City Beach, Wembley Downs, Woodlands, or Doubleview. The west coast has been forgotten apparently. The ONLY options are an ATM within either Karrinyup or Innaloo shopping centres, which is barely sufficient, especially as these cannot be accessed outside of regular shopping hours.

There is 1 'redi ATM' in the local area, which is also inside a mini shopping complex and not available outside of shopping hours.

I've been a lifelong bankwest customer and I'm considering changing my accounts over to either ANZ or Westpac as they actually have ATM's in the area.

Get your act together Bankwest.

0 Kudos

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 5 of 7 1,557 Views

Hey @happicat, as a Bankwest customer, you can use any ANZ, NAB or Westpac ATMs within Australia free of charge.

In regards to us not having an ATM near you, I'll pass this through to the team so they're aware. I'm very sorry for any trouble this has caused. 

0 Kudos

Message 6 of 7 1,538 Views

I hear you, @happicat. We live in Bankwest ATM free suburbs. Which I note that MegB has not disputed.

This disappearance of ATMs before our eyes has not escaped the attention of the mainstream media (SMH article http://bit.ly/CashlessFuture) and social media ( http://bit.ly/BankwestFacebook).

Moving to another bank might work. Although, it looks like Bankwest could be at the vanguard of going cashless with such tech as the Bankwest Halo Ring ( http://bit.ly/BankwestHaloRing) while big players, like ANZ and Westpac, play catch-up. I suppose not having much cash myself is now an unexpected bonus.

Dear Bankwest,

The SMH article raises an issue about the current lack of back-up systems in place to keep cash flowing if trouble occurs such as “…hacking, power outages and telecommunication breakdown”.

As Bankwest rolls out cashless technology like contactless payments, while removing cash availability such as ATMs and branches from the Perth landscape, then what back-up systems do you have when things go wrong?

0 Kudos

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 7 of 7 1,528 Views

It’s our priority to ensure that our customers are never without access to funds @CellarDoor, whatever their preferred method may be. We take security very seriously, and also have processes and procedures in place.

As you’ve mentioned, you are able to withdraw funds at any Bankwest, CBA, ANZ, NAB or Westpac ATM free of charge, though if this isn’t convenient you can also pop into a Bank@Post affiliated Australia Post outlet, where you can complete the below transactions:

-Cash Withdrawals (up to $1000)
-Cash Deposits (up to $6000)
-Cheque Deposits
-Account Balance Enquiries
-Bill Payments

You can find your closest outlet here.

Thank you.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P
© 2019 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.