Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
IA

ATM dispute (ATM malfunction)

[ Edited ]
Posted by IA IA
Message 1 of 2 205 Views

It's really upsetting that the bank is taking its time to rectify this issue. My partner used the ATM machine to deposit some cash, but it malfunctioned in the process and did not register the amount at all. That took place last Fri 3rd August. When we visited the branch today, we were told that a letter dated 8th August (yesterday) has been sent out and when questioned about the content, it was said that it merely notifies us that the investigation has since started. To that, I have just one question, it takes the bank 3 days to send me a letter of notification of the issue?

The amount may not be a huge sum to the bank, but it sure is considerable to us as we need that money to offset our payments for our mortgage and loans etc. When we called in and asked if things can be expedited, the reply was that "ATM disputes happen all the time" and the fact that there are certain procedures to follow, so things cannot be quickened.

Furthermore, we were told by the branch that it would take time and we might even just get our money deposited into our account only by the end of the month. In this case, the bank's main focus is on the need to reconcile the funds and sadly, the customer's interest seems to have taken a back seat.

One thing we have learnt for sure is NEVER to use the ATM machines ever again. After all, we are now being penalised for no fault of ours. The ATM malfunctioned, "ate our money" - so to speak and we have to just sit around and play the waiting game for the bank or third parties involved to do their job? Of course, we know these things take time, but the amount of time that it is taking is simply unacceptable! Not forgetting, we have not been told about any definite deadline for the case whatsoever. 

0 Kudos

Re: ATM dispute (ATM malfunction)

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 2 188 Views

Hi @IA, we certainly appreciate that a dispute for any amount is an inconvenience, and I am sorry that this has happened.

We do endeavour to resolve the dispute within 21-45 calendar days of receiving the dispute form. As we may be required to liaise with other merchants (ie ATM security), we need to allow reasonable time for them to respond. In saying that, this time frame is generally a worst case scenario.

We can't view your account(s) via the Forum, though I'd like to ensure that this is followed up for you. If you could please send me your full name and best contact number to Forum@Bankwest.com.au, we'll get in touch with you shortly.

Thank you.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.