Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
MTC

expired credit card auto payment

Posted by MTC MTC
Message 1 of 6 854 Views

hi,

I recently received an email from a company to say that my credit card details it has on record need to be updated because the card on record had expired. 
I did not contact them to update because I no longer wished to use their services.
I have noticed that they have since take money out of my credit card even though the details they have are an expired card. 
Can you explain how this was possible please

0 Kudos

Re: expired credit card auto payment

[ Edited ]
Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 2 of 6 852 Views

Hi @MTC, generally some companies will contact you to update your details before the card actually expires, which may be what has happened here. For security reasons we can't access or discuss you personal account information over the forum, so I'm unable to see what has happened here. If you can give us a call on 13 17 19, we can look into this for you.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 3 of 6 846 Views

Hey @MTC, this is because expired cards are still mapped to new cards for a while after expiry - espressly for situations where somoene forgets to update a biller with their new information.

I've found this mapping period can be anywhere from three to six months afterwards, as a safety mechanism, and is by design (even at Bankwest, as i've seen it happen with my own two eyes as a customer in the same situation as you've described).

This situation however doesn't apply when the card has been cancelled, as the transaction will be declined as that original card is blocked.

So, when it comes to companies you've given your credit card to - always keep your information up-to-date when your card is replaced; and make sure you're proactive to cancel services you no longer want or need.

And if they continue to bill you after you've cancelled the service, then make sure you file a disputed transaction form with Bankwest ASAP so they can deal with it.

Sadly, Bankwest still require paper forms for transaction disputes. Hopefully they'll get with the times soon and allow transaction disputes to be raised directly within the Online Banking/Mobile Banking platforms. Smiley Wink

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 4 of 6 836 Views

Thanks for contributing @thewinchester, I've spoken with our Cards Systems team to look into this and they've advised we actually don't have a mapping period, once a card has expired it can no longer be used, this also includes anything being direct debited from a credit card.

However some companies do advise customers to update their details prior to the card actually expiring, which is what it sounds like may have happened in this instance.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]
Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 5 of 6 826 Views

@LyndsC: My personal experience with BWA credit cards shows otherwise.

I moved from the QF Mastercard up to the QF Platinum Mastercard last year, and three months after I'd upgraded, a transaction from an online biller who still had the old credit card details was accepted, and processed against the new card.

I only caught this because the billers transaction was charged in an overseas denomination, and a Forex transaction fee was charged to on the Platinum MC. After speaking with Card Services, they figured out and confirmed the transaction was made against the old card, and accepted against my new account along with the Forex fees that applied to the product type of the old card.

This is the same scenario as the original poster, so I think your Cards team has given you a bit of a bum steer and it's worth having another conversation with them about this.

0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 6 of 6 823 Views

When you are transferring a current credit card to a new product, there certainly is a grace period , in which transactions made on the old card will transfer across to the new account @thewinchester, however this does not apply when a card has expired or cancelled and the old card still needs to be valid and not expired. Hope this clears up the confusion here.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.