Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

credit card

Posted by Lucy Lucy
Message 1 of 6 1,019 Views

What is this Purchase fee taken out of my credit card?

0 Kudos

Re: credit card

Posted by SarahF SarahF
Message 2 of 6 1,018 Views

Hi @Lucy, thanks for your question. There are a few different fees that you may need to consider which you can see on our Credit Card pages. Could you please let me know what this fee is called on your online banking or statement so I can look into this. Otherwise you may be able to see what fee it is on our Credit Card section which details the fees involved. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Posted by Lucy Lucy
Message 3 of 6 1,015 Views

It was called Purchase Interest.  I thought I had 55 days before interest was charged on my credit card - Platinum Mastercard.  I have paid more than the amount due but yet still had this purchase interest taken out.

How can I avoid having to pay this purchase interest?

0 Kudos
Forum Manager
SOLUTION

Posted by PeteW PeteW
Message 4 of 6 1,004 Views

Thanks @Lucy, I've just looked into this with our team and they've given me the below details to share with you.

Bankwest MasterCards offer up to 55 days interest free on purchases - 30 days of purchasing and then 25 days until the due date to pay your statement balance in full before interest is charged. Providing your statement balance is paid in full by the due date, there will be no interest charged. Interest is calculated on the average daily unpaid balance from the previous statement using the annual percentage rates outlined in the relevant credit card schedule.

With the interest free option, if the balance is paid by the due date which is 25 days from the statement issue date, then no interest will be charged on purchases. However, if the account is not paid in full by the due date, then interest is calculated on each purchase from the date on which the transaction was debited to the account.

Does this help clarify for you?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
○ If you find a response helpful remember to give it 'Kudos'.
○ If it answered your question, make it easier for others to find by selecting 'Accept as Solution'.

Posted by Lucy Lucy
Message 5 of 6 1,002 Views

Thank you.

Basically I have to pay the outstanding amount back into Credit card within 55 days as I will keep on getting charged 

purchase interest.

I thought with a credit card as long as you made payments back into the credit card you wouldn't be charged interest.

0 Kudos

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 6 of 6 993 Views

The only way to make sure you avoid purchase interest charges @Lucy is to ensure you always pay the full statement balance by the due date each month.

If you don't make the full payment by the due date, you'd need to obtain a payout figure to stop interest from accruing further, or pay 2 consecutive monthly statements in full by the due dates.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.