Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Why have credit card interest free periods been lowered from 55 days to 44 days?

[ Edited ]
Posted by Ben_37 Ben_37
Message 1 of 4 588 Views

I have received a notification advising that my Bankwest More Mastercard interest free period will change from 55 days to 44 days; however I have not received any reasoning as to why this is occurring and there is no explanation in the FAQ's on the website. Can anyone provide any information as to why this has occurred? 

0 Kudos

Re: Why have credit card interest free periods been lowered from 55 days to 44 days?

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 2 of 4 579 Views

Hi @Ben_37, thanks for contacting us in regards to the changes coming to our More Rewards and Qantas MasterCards. In order to continue to provide sustainable, high quality products, the terms and conditions of our products must continue to be updated and adapted with market changes. I can understand where you're coming from so wanted to give you a bit of background. The legislative changes made in November 2015 has reduced the interchange earnings that are used to directly subsidise the cost of reward points, as a result the product features (including the interest free periods offered) need to be updated to continue to deliver a sustainable product. We've had to adapt our product in response to market changes but feel this product still remains competitive.
I've passed your feedback onto our Products team and I'm sorry I can't do more to help here. Thanks

0 Kudos

Re: Why have credit card interest free periods been lowered from 55 days to 44 days?

Posted by khainkris khainkris
Message 3 of 4 465 Views

I have been a long time customer of Bankwest with a World credit card.  It is a shame the credit card interest free periods have been lowered from 55 days to 44 days... especially when other banks are offering the same World product with still the 55 interest free days. I would have rather paid a higher annual fee then to lose the interest ffree period. 

I have already started the process to switch banks for my credit card. 

0 Kudos

Posted by SarahF SarahF
Message 4 of 4 464 Views

Hi @khainkris, I'm really sorry to hear you feel this way. I'll certainly make sure your feedback is passed onto our credit card team in regards to the MasterCard World Credit card you have and the interest free days.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.