Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

Which card type carries less risk for the consumer when compromised?

Posted by scarborofun scarborofun
Message 1 of 5 396 Views

Hello, I am thinking that a compromised credit card  will only affect my CC account which has limited funds and is covered by a bank protection, unless I was proven to be negligent.

I understand that a debit card is linked to my savings account, in which case the funds at risk are whatever is on the account. So there is possibly more money to be lost in case of a compromised card or unauthorised direct debit.

There may also be less protection with a debit card if stolen money can't be recovered and it may be harder to challenge an unauthorised transaction or a payment for faulty or never delivered goods.

There could be issues I haven't thought about yet.

What is the general perception on which type of card carries less risk for the consumer with web purchases or direct debit?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Which card type carries less risk for the consumer when compromised?

Posted by 69996480 69996480
Message 2 of 5 386 Views

Woman SadMan Mad

0 Kudos
SOLUTION

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 3 of 5 384 Views

Hi @scarborofun our credit and debit cards all fall under the Mastercard/Visa Scheme Rules and Regulations when it comes to disputing transcations, and have the same protections/dispute procedure. 

Posted by scarborofun scarborofun
Message 4 of 5 379 Views

Thanks MegB. And I hope this is not a silly assumption: I would be up to the customer to keep the available funds on the linked savings account and the daily withdrawal limits reasonable? If there are guidelines please let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SOLUTION

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 5 of 5 376 Views

If there are insufficient funds in the account linked to the Debit Mastercard, the transaction will decline. It is up to the owner of the account to ensure there are sufficient funds available. This can be done through online banking or our app. 

The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $1000 and the daily EFTPOS transaction limit (when selecting cheque or savings) is $1000.

For any transactions that use the credit option of the Debit Mastercard (PayPass/direct debits/online transactions) the daily limit is the available balance of the account. 

Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P
© 2019 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.