Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

US Petrol Stations require ZIP Code

Posted by user99700 user99700
Message 1 of 2 722 Views

Just returned from USA (California) and had a small issue with using my BW CC for purchasing petrol.

Every petrol station i've been to in the US requires you to prepay, and after swiping your card at the pump, requires a 5 digit zip code.

I tried all the normal ideas would would think of. (replace 1234 is my real postcode), including

All invalid, and was "forced" to prepay in cash.

It's not exactly problem of the century, but it would be nice to just use my card for dispensing petrol. Late at night, some petrol stations are not manned, so this may cause a bigger issue for some. I spoke to 3 people at BW, including an employee of 8 years, and had never heard of this issue before. Google "zip code petrol us" and you'll see it's a problem for visitors.

Has Mastercard provided any info to BW, or other Australian card holders on this? Is there another way we could generate a code of other account information that could be used to "verify" our card?

Note: Petrol stations were big brands (Shell, Chevron) and ranged from small country towns (Marisposa, CA) to large cities (San Francisco).  

I like using my card for pretty much everything (USD is a PITA) so a solution would help both myself and others out.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: US Petrol Stations require ZIP Code

Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 2 of 2 720 Views

You missed a trick @user99700 - simply add a 0 (zero) in front of the postcode your statement is sent to (I say that in case your home address is different to your mailing address). The majority of pumps will pass this on validation from my experience.

And if that doesn't wok, prepay is the best option anyway if the station requires payment or authorisation up front.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.