Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Pre-Activated Debit Cards posted to Customers.

Posted by Tribble Tribble
Message 1 of 4 199 Views

BankWest in it's infinite wisdom sent me a replacement Debit Card via post as my current one was due to expire.

Okay, no problem with that, except that the Card was stolen from my mailbox and the thief went on an immediate

spending spree, spending $925 over 14 transactions in a 12 hour period. 

Little did I know this until I went to make a purchase and my transaction was declined. Much to my embarrassement. 

Now, BankWest has refunded the monies, and quite quickly too, 5 working days. But the issue remains. 

I sent BankWest a complaint form requesting information as to why I was sent out a fully activated card that anyone could use and as to why I was not notified that my Card had been suspended due to fraudulent activity. 

The answers I received were: 

It's BankWests policy to send out unsecured Cards.

It's not her job to discuss BankWest Policies with me. And;

"I'm sure they contacted you." 

Leaving not being notified aside, Is it BankWests policy to send out a card that is unprotected and immediately usable to anyone with access via post? To me, they may as well have taken money from my account and posted hard currency. 

Oh, and I have yet to receive a replacement Card that I asked to be delivered to a Branch, the Branch staff advises it could take up to three weeks.

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos

Re: Pre-Activated Debit Cards posted to Customers.

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 4 197 Views

Hi @Tribble, I'm sorry to hear this and would definitely like to help further. Via the Forum I won't be able to view your account, however if you would like to send an email to Forum@Bankwest.com.au containing your full name and Forum Username, I will arrange for your concerns to be escalated, and follow up on the replacement card with the store for you. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 3 of 4 164 Views

Wow @Tribble, that's a really poor experience.

@DanaeC: I'd like to add to this feedback, around changing the process - being that any cards, replacement or otherwise, that Bankwest sends to its customers, must be in an 'unactivated' state, and shouldn't be able to be used until the customer has explicitely gone through an activation process.

Letterbox theft is a big problem in some areas, and when customers like @Tribblefind they can't pay their bills or do their day-to-day transactions, it's a real hassle. A simple change to how cards are handled would go a long way to protecting customers, and reducing risks and staff costs to BWA arising from situations like those in this thread.

0 Kudos

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 4 of 4 159 Views

Thanks for sending this through @thewinchester. The security of our customer accounts is our top priority, and I will certainly ensure that your feedback is passed on. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.