Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Late payment fee

Posted by Jodie Jodie
Message 1 of 6 586 Views

I am currently travelling through north america, Canada and other locations with intermittent Access to WiFi and very rare access to SMS.  Today I just received an SMS about a late payment fee on my credit card. When I left Australia there was no money owing on my card, so I haven't logged in to check it. Turns out the charge is from you, it's my annual card fee and now I have been slogged with 2 x $25 late fees. I think you charging me fees for my fees is ridiculous.  Please respond to this concern I have 

0 Kudos

Re: Late payment fee

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 6 585 Views

Hi @Jodie, I'm really sorry to hear this, and I can certainly understand the disappointment you have expressed in relation to being charged these fees. As the Annual Fee is a charge to the card that is required to be paid, a late fee would apply if no payment is received prior to the statement due date. You may be interested to know that if you use the Bankwest Mobile App, you are able to create a Payment Reminder, using the "Easy Alert" option. This will send a Push Notification to your phone 3 days prior to the due date, if at least the minimum repayment amount has not yet been received. To set this up, please select "Easy Alerts > Customise Easy Alerts > Credit Card Payment Due". I understand that the Easy Alert may not be convenient whilst you are not within a data or WIFI range, however for your convenience, you are also able to request Bankwest to pay either the minimum payment or the statement balance of your credit card on the due date each month. This can be set up either from a Bankwest account, or an account at another institution. Via the Forum I am unable to view your details to look into this further, however if you are able to access a PC, you can login to Online Banking and select the "Chat Now" button at the bottom of your screen, between 7am - 6pm AWST Monday - Friday to discuss. Alternatively, you can call our Contact Centre on +61 8 9486 4130. This is a Reverse Charges Number, however as you would need to contact the International Operator in the country you are in, I am unable to advise if there would be any charges applied by the local or international telephone company for contacting the operator. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Posted by Jodie Jodie
Message 3 of 6 583 Views

As you have pointed out I don't have access to a computer.  Given the complete lack of empathy in this situation and the typical bank response of 'it's your fault not ours' - I will ask for this card to be closed and I will no longer bank with you. Nor will I advocate for you - and I will share this poor experience on social media. I mean - I think I was clear - I was travelling and didn't know the payment fr you came through!!!! Not like I was charging something and ignored it

0 Kudos

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 4 of 6 582 Views

I appreciate where you are coming from @Jodie, and assure you that we are not implying fault, we do just need to make sure that our customers are aware of their payment options, and ways in which any fees can be avoided. We definitely want to help, however as mentioned via the Forum we are unable to view your details. If you can't access a PC, you will be able to open the Bankwest full site and login to your Online Banking via a mobile device, and send a BankMail to our Online team (through the "Message Centre" tab). This will be received by our email team, and responded to within 1 - 2 business days, thanks.

0 Kudos

Posted by Jodie Jodie
Message 5 of 6 540 Views

I lodged a response on internet banking and haven't had a reply as yet? 

0 Kudos

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 6 of 6 536 Views

Hi @Jodie, via BankMail there is a 1 - 3 business day SLA for a response. If you would like to send me your full name, the date and approximate time in which you sent the message to forum@bankwest.com.au, I will have our email team follow this up and let you know what is happening. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.