Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

How long does it take for a new credit card to arrive?

Posted by ghost ghost
Message 1 of 3 2,875 Views
Bankwest is issuing me a new credit card because my previous one was compromised last night. Approximately how long will it take to arrive? Any chance I'll have it by the weekend? I have some urgent purchases I need to make and I can't delay then until the card arrives.
Senior Contributor

Re: How long does it take for a new credit card to arrive?

[ Edited ]
Posted by thewinchester thewinchester
Message 2 of 3 2,874 Views

From my experience @ghost, BWA's contact centre staff always say five business days for the replacement to arrive.

I've generally been lucky, and had a new/replacement card arrive within three business days - but it's beholden to a number of factors such as the card production facility, and of course Australia Post (who aren't known for on time and speedy delivery even when a commercial sender pays the priority post price).

So, if it's an urgent purchase that needs to be made, time to start looking for another way to make sure you can make it. Here's some ideas for it which may help.

When you're in Australia and these purchases can be made with cash, I'd make tracks for your nearest Bankwest branch with suitable photo identification, so they can assist you with making a counter withdrawal. There's really nothing else you can do until the card arrives.

It's also worth nothing that you can have up to two other transaction accounts linked to any Debit/Credit card you already hold (number of additional linked accounts depends on the card type - Credit = 2, Debit = 1).

So if you didn't lose all of your Bankwest-issued cards (i.e. you still have your debit or ATM card), and it's a transaction account you need to make the purchase from, give the customer service team a call to update the account preferences on your existing card.

And if you're overseas and it's a credit card, call the Emergency Assistance numbers on this page, as they can help you be issued an emergency card when you've overseas - normally within 24hrs for most countries.

Best of luck, hope your new card arrives soon.

And here's hoping Bankwest can take a leaf out of how banks in outher countries handle new and replacement cards sometime soon.

The best example is Japan, where banks like Mitsubishi UFJ can issue temporary cards right there in the branch. So if you've just opened an account, or reported your card lost/stolen - their in-branch staff have the ability to issue a temporary replacement card on the spot (once they've done the appropriate security checks). Would be great to see Australian banks ascend to that level of efficiency and customer service in the future.

Re: How long does it take for a new credit card to arrive?

Posted by SarahF SarahF
Message 3 of 3 2,862 Views

Thanks for helping @ghost with the great info @thewinchester - currently we do generally advise 5-7 business days for a replacement card to arrive. I hope you're still able make the purchases over the weekend. Just let us know if you have any issues so I can see if we can help.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.