Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question
New Contributor

Has Bankwest Credit Card department security been compromised?

Posted by mayhewga mayhewga
Message 1 of 2 624 Views

Three weeks ago my expiring Bankwest Mastercards had not been replaced so I rang and was told that new cards would need to be manually generated and I should have them in a week or so.

(I was surprised that new cards had not been generated already just a few days before expiry, but anyway....)

Five days later the new cards indeed arrived but 30 minutes after activating I received an SMS saying my card had been compromised. I rang the number at Bankwest (and waited nearly 30 minutes to get through to the special Fraud number making me wonder if theres been a surge in compromised cards all of a sudden), to learn the Bank had correctly identified a fraudulent transaction and had put stops on our cards, and said new cards with new numbers would be sent out. All well and good, the system is working, or so I thought.

(But I was suspicious that this happened within minutes of my activation)

So another week later and no new cards had arrived, so another call to Bankwest and I am informed that the Fraud Dept knew of the attempted fraud, but could find no record of having generated any new cards to replace those cards, so I was informed again that new cards would be generated and be with me in another week or so.

(Now I am very suspicious at seemingly lax procedures at this point). I am patiently waiting for my new cards and have had to set up alternate payment systems in the interim.

So my question is: has anyone else had funny things happen over the past few weeks to their cards or have I just been unlucky with having an expired card re issue failure, then a fraud attempt,  and then further problems with the card re-issuance department.

0 Kudos

Re: Has Bankwest Credit Card department security been compromised?

Posted by MegB MegB
Message 2 of 2 610 Views

Hi @mayhewga I'm very sorry this has happened. 

So we can look into what's going on here for you, would you mind logging into your online banking and hitting the 'Message us now' button located to the bottom of the screen, or the 'Ask us' button if using our app, this is at the bottom of the app menu.

Our Online Messaging Team are available at any time for your convenience. Please let me know how you go. ^Meg

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P
© 2019 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.