Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Gambling purchases via Paypal

Posted by eugklng eugklng
Message 1 of 4 331 Views

Hi,

I funded an online betting site for the upcoming World Cup and selected Paypal as my method of payment only to have Paypal by default paid for it via my credit card. Will this be considered a cash advance as I did not select credit card as my method of payment?

0 Kudos

Re: Gambling purchases via Paypal

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 4 318 Views

Hi @eugklng, this is a great question.

This is dependant on how the merchant has set up their debit process with PayPal. Whilst it is possible that it will be considered a Cash Advance - our Contact Centre can take a look and verify this for you, and discuss your options moving forward.

You can log in to Online Banking and select "Ask Us" via the Mobile App menu (from an Android Device), or "Message us Now" from a PC, where our Online Team would be happy to help out at any time, 24/7. Alternatively if you can't access Online Banking, you can give us a buzz at any time on 13 17 19.

Thank you.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos

Posted by eugklng eugklng
Message 3 of 4 302 Views

Hi @DanaeC,

The Online Team was unfortunately not very helpful and simply replied by cutting and pasting the terms and conditions from a document somewhere. My situation is that I'm using paypal as a way to protect my account details from that website. But when I paid through paypal, Paypal automatically took it from my credit card instead of my normal bank account and for that now I have to pay cash advance fees and interests? I'm asking if there's a way to reverse this as it all happened automatically.

0 Kudos

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 4 of 4 300 Views

We won't be able to reverse a payment once it has been processed I'm sorry @eugklng, though generally speaking if you are using PayPal, then the merchant shouldn't receive your card details anyway. If you're not comfortable using a Credit Card for these types of transactions, I can confirm that Debit MasterCards won't attract Cash Advance Fees and are able to be added to PayPal accounts. We can't view or provide any personal information via the Forum, so if you would like to discuss this further please send your full name and best contact number to Forum@Bankwest.com.au so that we can give you a call tomorrow to discuss. Thank you.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.