Ask a new question
Senior Contributor
SOLVED
Accepted Solution

Cash Advance

[ Edited ]
Posted by cgm cgm
Message 1 of 5 910 Views

I have often wondered why withdrawing cash or making purchases on a credit card are treated differently.  E.g. Higher cash advance rate than a purchase rate and interest charged sooner for cash advances.

Would Bankwest consider removing the more restrictive and penalising conditions for cash advances from its credit card products?

Why are these two transactions treated differently?

0 Kudos
Forum Manager
SOLUTION

Re: Cash Advance

[ Edited ]
Posted by PeteW PeteW
Message 2 of 5 895 Views

Another interesting one from you @cgm - thanks.

One of the main reasons this is the case is because a cash advance is considered a more risky type of transaction and so this additional credit risk is factored into the higher interest rate charged to customers. An example of this would be a gambling transaction which inherently carries more risk than a standard/everyday transaction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
○ If you find a response helpful remember to give it 'Kudos'.
○ If it answered your question, make it easier for others to find by selecting 'Accept as Solution'.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Posted by cgm cgm
Message 3 of 5 886 Views

Bugger, but makes sense.  Thanks @PeteW!

0 Kudos

Posted by LYMPKY LYMPKY
Message 4 of 5 777 Views

If i have a credit limit of $6000 and I have a Balance of $8000 and I do a cash advace of $1800 in USA will I still pay a FEE ?????

0 Kudos

Posted by SarahF SarahF
Message 5 of 5 773 Views

Hi @LYMPKY, there will be a Cash Advance Fee (this will be $4, providing the account is still in a positive balance.) You'll also need to consider the daily spend limit, this wouldn't apply when using the card to make purchases or pay for services over the counter/online, however there would be an AUD $1500 withdrawal limit per day if using ATMs.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2017 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.