Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

BW blocking crypto transactions

Posted by codaniel codaniel
Message 1 of 7 2,061 Views

Just got this text:

2018-02-14 17.29.10.png

So, instead of embrassing progress and new technology, it seems you're trying to avoid and block it ? Nice..

From bankwest.com.au/cryptocurrency:

"Given the risk associated with the relative immaturity and volatility of these currencies seen in recent months, we will no longer authorise payments on credit cards to protect our customers.

As the virtual currency market develops and becomes better regulated, we may review our position."

Personally, I think that as long long as I am paying my bills on time, it's none of your business where I spend my OWN money.

Does this apply to debit cards too ?

Re: BW blocking crypto transactions

Posted by Masie Masie
Message 2 of 7 2,048 Views

100% agree with codaniel...well said

What right does a bank have to tell you how to spend your own money...

If you have a bad debt record, you should not be issued  with a credit card in the first place

Cryptocurrencys are not illegial. In fact alot appear to be operating from very business orientated and legitimate platforms.

IF I wish to invest in cryptos, that is my right.

We live in a democratic - not autocratic country..or so I thought.

The pretence that it is in our own interests is laughable....talk about big brother gone overboard.

Perhaps they will begin banning credit card purchases on gambling sites, bottleshops & cigarette outlets soon!!

Are they going to ban people using their credit cards to buy shares, or to bet on the futures market?

Even if I dont purchase any Cryptos, I will be going to institutions that provide a credit card with freedom of choice in what and how I choose to use a credit card.

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 3 of 7 2,047 Views

Hi @codaniel & @Masie, Bankwest confirms customers will no longer be able to use their credit cards to purchase virtual currencies effective as of Wednesday 14 February 2018. Given the relative immaturity and volatility of virtual currencies at this time and potential risks to customers, Bankwest will no longer authorise payments on credit cards until further notice. Bankwest will continue to monitor the development of the virtual currency market and regulatory environment. This does only apply to MasterCard Credit Cards, thank you ^Danae

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

Message 4 of 7 2,042 Views

@Masie I'm glad you said something. I was going to ask if they're going to ban alcohol and cigarettes next.

But, the reality is crypto poses a threat to banks and this ban has nothing to do with "protecting" customers.

The easiest way to pass restricting laws and regulations is under the guise of protecting the public.  

A credit card company/bank is supposed to make our lives easier, not make us jump through more hoops.

Message 5 of 7 2,038 Views

@DanaeC thanks for confirming the ban,

PS: Why was my screenshot reoved ?

Posted by 112miro 112miro
Message 6 of 7 2,016 Views

The way I see it we all go to the ACCC or ombudsman and submit a formal complaint on the basis that it's not reasonable that a bank could stop you from buying crypto-currency (which is completely legal) I think everyone has quite a good case and all it will take is a few complains to get the ball rolling. Who's in?

Posted by LyndsC LyndsC
Message 7 of 7 1,997 Views

Hi @codaniel, I can assure you that your screenshot has not been removed, it was awaiting approval which has now been done. Thanks!

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.