Bankwest Forum

Ask a new question

Should Facebook be assosciate with Bankwest in consideration of their abuse of Privacy issues

Posted by AgentGolden123 AgentGolden123
Message 1 of 4 837 Views

In reference to my receiving a recent email to register for a BANKWEST Forum online event due for 22 March 2018 and available via Bankwest’s chosen platform of Facebook.. I fairly and reasonably question the correctness of Bankwest choosing links with that company in light of the recent storm regarding Facebook’s debacle with handling privacy issues with their customers via Cambridge Analytica. I do not have a Facebook account nor would I choose to use one given the over reach, lack of privacy and plain and a simple comment of, “why-do-they-need-to-know-that?” for Membership Sign Up.

Facebook shares have plummeted 7% in the last few days. Is this a good choice, overall to make by Bankwest Forum Administration in choosing to assosciate with a business partner like that ? It further raises Bankwest Forum Administration’s correctness of choice on behalf of Bankwest’s own Business customers by choosing that particular company and that particular platform and specific social media company. Where are the Business ethics and leadership being shown here by Bankwest Forum organisers ?

What would Rabia Siddique say ? What would Malala Yousafzai say ? Should the 22 March 2018  Facebook enabled Forum be postponed by Bankwest until questions have been answered by Mark Zuckerberg & Sheryl Sandburg ? Further details and information about exactly what Facebook is all about can be gained from the ABC TV Four Corners program of 9 April 2017 called “What does Facebook really know about you.”

That program is easy to do a search for.

Overall any fair and reasonable person .. or organisation such as a bank ..given recent events & expected due diligence would have more than reasonable grounds to be wary of associating with an organisation such as Facebook. Any comments ?

0 Kudos

Re: Should Facebook be assosciate with Bankwest in consideration of their abuse of Privacy issues

Posted by DanaeC DanaeC
Message 2 of 4 829 Views

Hi @AgentGolden123, thank you for getting in touch and for raising your concerns.  

We use Facebook as a tool to liaise with a wider audience who use this as their social media platform of choice. We constantly review the appropriateness of all businesses, organisations and platforms with whom we partner and ensure at all times that customer data is protected. We would never request or suggest that personal information be provided through these channels.  

I have passed your feedback along - if you would like to discuss this further please send through your contact number to forum@bankwest.com.au - I'd be more than happy to set up a call for you.

Thank you.

Was this helpful? Then give it 'Kudos'!

If your question was answered, select 'Accept as Solution' to make it easier for others to find.

0 Kudos

Re: Should Facebook be assosciate with Bankwest in consideration of their abuse of Privacy issues

Message 3 of 4 822 Views

Thank you DanaeC

Can you advise of what position you hold on the Bank West Forum ?

I note where you say, “We would never request or advise that personal information be provided through these channels.”

Can you explain where it is that I said that Bank West Forum “requests” or that Bank West Forum “suggest” that “personal information be provided through these channels.” ?

My comments on personal information was in relation to that which is requested of new Customers to allow for Sign Up to Facebook for opening of accounts.

Yet important and relevant questions are now being asked of Facebook itself in relation to just who then has access to those personal details that are required for the opening of an account for Facebooks own customers. 

You say that, “We use Facebook as a tool to liaise with a wider audience ..”

But why has Bank West Forum Administration decided that Facebook was to be the only means to gain access for participation to the changing topics of the apparently ongoing Business Forum’s ? Isn’t that assuming by Bank West Forum Administration that all who wish to directly participate in such discussions can only do so  via having a Facebook account ?

Was another “tool” for “wider audience” participation other than Facebook considered ? If so what were those other “tool(s)” ?

You also say,” I have passed your feedback along.”

To who ?

If, as you say, “We constantly review the appropriateness of all .. platforms with whom we partner,” then in light of the serious allegations levelled at Facebook can you review solely using that social media “platform” or website or company as the apparent sole means of participating in your ongoing Business Forum discussions ?

In response to where you say, “ If you would like to discuss this further please supply your phone number  to forum@bankwest.com.au and I would be happy to set up a call for you.”

I say that I would like to discuss this further and fairly so, I do so on this Forum.

Is that not what a Forum is designed to do ?

To discuss things further ?

And openly.

My research shows that “Forum” is defined as being, “An assembly, meeting place, the Centre for the discussion of general and business affairs, a place of assembly for the people.”

I can’t see where a proposed discussion by yourself of 2 persons, where I am requested as being one of the 2 persons, are then further to become involved in any wished for phone conversation, that this then amounts to a “Forum.”

Open Forums do for all affected parties, such as all those Bank West Forum members that were sent an invite to the Facebook only accessed Business Forum discussion, that a one to one phone conversation does not allow to happen for all affected ( Bank West Forum ) parties or persons.

I have asked you 10 relevant Questions here & as part of common courteousy and in alignment with Customer Service expectations require that you answer them here on the Forum.

Thank you

0 Kudos

Message 4 of 4 818 Views

Hello DanaeC
I add a further response to your comment of, “We constantly review the appropriateness of all .... platforms with whom we partner.”

I provide this excerpt by a noted USA Business commentator, Aaron Gentzler;

“According to a Guardian report, Christopher Wylie, a Cambridge associate with close ties to data collection operations told reporters:
“We exploited Facebook to harvest millions of people’s profiles. And built models to exploit what we knew about them and target their inner demons. That was the basis the entire company was built on.”
That’s a PR nuclear bomb. But at least this guy’s honest.

And now, Orwellian conspiracies aside, it appears investors simply have had enough of FB’s data management problems.
The stock fell over 9% from $185.09 on Friday’s close to $168.15 as of pre-market Wednesday.
It was the company’s worst days “since July 2012, the year of Facebook’s initial public offering at $38 a share,” according to Bloomberg.
But maybe in hindsight we should have seen this coming.
In 2012, when FB’s IPO was close to debuting, we asked ourselves the obvious question.
How would Facebook make money?
The easy answer was ad revenue. But that doesn't really make sense in the long term. Ad revenue alone would never be sustainable.
FB’s real cash cow was always going to be your personal info. Your likes, your views, your hashtags. Every last bit of granular info about you represented dollars to FB.
It was only a matter of time before news broke that our data was grossly mishandled for high stakes. “ (End of quote)

Why is Bank West Forum Administration associating with “Platforms” or a Company or a Business such as Facebook ?
Is it time for Bank West Forum Administration to well and truly abide by what a representative says where they, “review the appropriateness of all companies ..” (such as Facebook) “ organisations with whom we partner and ensure at all times (so ) that Customer data is protected”?

Didn’t Bank West Forum Administration day via a comment by DanaeC say that they would protect “personal data.”?
Including when such “Customer data” resides with a Bank West Administration chosen Company or Business which has a “Platform” such that Facebook has, that allows the very same Bank West Forum Customers own personal “Customer Data” to be “sold off” or capitalised on ?

Is unchecked “monetizatiin” of any data of a “Personal” nature something Bank West Administration condones or approves of ?
Isn’t Bank West Forum Administration, by it’s firstly choosing then continuing in it’s partnering by way of an ongoing business relationship with such a Company or organisation that has a “platform” that consciously and knowingly allows for the “selling off” or capitalising of “likes” or “preferences” or concerns or “hashtags” .. condoning such practises in relation to Customers being a “target” via their own “personal information” ?
“Likes” or “ preferences” or “hashtags” of individual (Facebook) Customers ..actually is.. their own personal data.
Perhaps there has been a major error of judgement by Bank West Forum Administration in firstly associating with and continuing to assosciate with and promoting a “Company” or “Business” that uses a “Platform” which further allows for other outside Companies, that are financially assosciated to the original company (Facebook) that Bank West Forum Administration firstly assosciates with.
Because doesn’t this then allow for these “buyers” or Customer Companies of Facebook to then wrongfully and negatively use “Customer data” which then wrongfully allows them to “harvest millions of peoples profiles ..” ?

Why is Bank West Forum Administration, in light of further and fuller information now coming to light .. by extension, allowing for this to continue to happen ?
And that’s 8 Questions in there Bank West Administration.
Please respond to all 8.

Thanks from AgentGolden123

0 Kudos
Ask a new question
Top kudoed contributors

Bankwest SWIFT code: BKWAAU6P | Find your BSB by logging into Online Banking
© 2018 Copyright Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Bankwest) ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL / Australian credit licence 234945. All rights reserved. To use this Website, you are required to read the Financial Services Guide (which you agree to be provided by accessing the link). Bankwest is a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which is the product issuer unless otherwise stated. Rates stated are subject to change without notice. Any advice given does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs so please consider whether it is appropriate for you. For deposit and payment products, please ensure you read and consider the Product Disclosure Statement (which you agree to be provided through this link) before making any decision about the product(s). For lending products, lending criteria and fees and charges apply. Terms and conditions apply and are available on request.